Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CoolMum5

Independent schools rule ok?!?

Post by CoolMum5 »

Only joking! :wink:
CoolMum5

Re: Independent schools rule ok?!?

Post by CoolMum5 »

Seriously, though, I just wanted to say that I sympathise with any parents out there who have struggled with the decision as to where to send their DC for their secondary education. We're all just trying to do the best we can, at the end of the day...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed coolmum5 - very difficult.

been there done that and bought some quite nice T -shirts.

We have done a sort of controlled experiment in our immediate family 2 kids went to private primary then state GS while their cousins went to assorted state primaries and then assorted independent seniors. Will be able to report on the experiemnt in ooooo about 20 years :wink:
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

That's the thing Herman - we just won't know if we made the right choice until many years after the fact and that is what is keeping me awake at night. I think that's why indie v state v grammar is such an emotive topic - people have had a hard enough time making the decision and then if someone comes along and questions your choice - it just really hits a sore point with most parents, that's all. As for us - we would love to support the state system but because of cuts by the government we know he will not have the kind of G&T support he's had thus far (we checked this out on Open Days) and so we've opted for an indie. Had the grammar of our choice been easier to travel to, we would have probably gone with that. DS is a lovely, sunny-natured boy - and as bright as he is - his happiness will always be paramount. Praying that our choice is the right one and that every DC out there will also thrive in their chosen schools ***
mum3b

Post by mum3b »

well said CoolMum5.
Whilst we are going the grammar way ( having refused offers from two fantastic indies)....you can never be 100% certain that your DC will be happy or not.
I feel that if the chosen school, be it an indie/state/grammar does not work then hopefully there will be other options available.
We worry about applying to schools, than getting the places, if lucky having a choice of offers, deciding on the most suitable scool for our DS and then praying that they are happy and thrive at the chosen school!!!! There never seems to be an end to the worry.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

CoolMum5 wrote:we won't know if we made the right choice until many years after the fact and that is what is keeping me awake at night. I think that's why indie v state v grammar is such an emotive topic - people have had a hard enough time making the decision and then if someone comes along and questions your choice -

I actually think it is the last word that causes the emotional response! "Choice" I would never dream of starting a thread which went along the lines of "oh I am so happy that my children are in a grammar school as the local comp was simply not good enough." (Incidentally my local comp does very well so I am not saying that)
These threads get a reaction because some posters, not meaning this thread, are insensitive to the lack of choice the vast majority of parents feel they have. I am happy with my children's state school but I know that I am blessed in that, so I try to be careful how I word things.Even then I am sure I don't get it right always.These threads historically have become tense when some posters make little attempt to hide their glee at the many choices they have and even put down in general the state sector.This isn't the case with this thread or the locked one but really I believe therein lies all the tension.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I haven't noticed anyone acting gleeful about having choices. I feel very fortunate but never gleeful. :? Anyway isn't that allowed on the independent section when parents are looking at multiple choices? I thought that was the point of this section. So it may seem that parents are acting gleefully :? or insensitively, but to them it is normal to be discussing their independent school choices on the independent school section.

I do find it interesting that this section gets so many views and posts by members not interested or have ever considered/ing an independent education. There are plenty sections that I never look at because they are not relevant to my circumstances at the moment. Of course, everyone is entitled to view and post where they see fit but if a poster has negative views on independent education then they will probably interpret posts in a way that they had never been meant to be conveyed.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

WFG I take your point about why bother to go to a section of the forum which isn’t relevant to your DC’s schooling and then complain about what you find there. However, I do still pop in because while independent education is way above my pay grade :lol: both Mrs C and I were educated privately, as are several of our nephews and godchildren so I’m a) interested and b) might occasionally have a relevant experience to relate. Perhaps that answers part of your question?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Oh Dear I wish there was a crystal ball on what best for our kids, best to me I suppose just means having a peace of mind with the decisions I have made. Who knows my DD might even decide to be a stay at home mum which to my knowledge requires a diff set of skills to those learnt in school or university :shock:

I have resorted to looking at her education as a journey than means to anything. Even after 20 years Herman I think it will be difficult to measure what "success" is unless its resorted to a simplistic measure of who is earning the most. I do wonder sometimes if my education has much to do with who I am today as I have self taught myself the business I am in and I struggle to link it in any way with my politics degree.

I think family has more to do with who we become by merely looking at myself. I vowed when I was young never to become like them but slowly my decisions very much mirror my parents school of thought :evil:
Last edited by sherry_d on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I knew why you came on and your views are very valued by a section filled with mainly first time buyers. At the end of the day independent schools are, well, just schools!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now