How are the places allocate for the Southend grammars?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

How are the places allocate for the Southend grammars?

Post by Manana »

I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to explain to me how the places are given out, particularly for SHSB?

Say they have 120 places in Y7 ; are a certain percentage of them kept for catchment children? Then-once everyone has given their choices of schools in and the test are marked, is it the case that eg 30 places are kept for out of catchment children and the highest scoring boys who have places SHSB as their first choice will be given an offer? Then eg there are 90 places left-how are these allocated?

Or have I got that all wrong?

Also, when you put down your school choices-am I right in thinking that everyone fills in a CAF ? Then if you are applying for grammars, do you need to fill in an additional form? How many schools are you *allowed* to put down?

I'm really sorry, I know that is a lot of questions, but if anyone could help explain it to me; I would be most grateful!
Hopefuldad

Re: How are the places allocate for the Southend grammars?

Post by Hopefuldad »

Hi

Southend Grammers take on 150 students in year 7, they reserve about 105 places for incatchment. Students in catchment had to, this year, get a minimum score of 303 to gain a place. If all the places are not taken up then they get transfered to the out of catchment section. Students from Out-of-catchment are allocated places purely on rank, the kids with the best scores get in.
Hope that makes sense

You have to fill in the CAF and supplementry form for CSSE to take the test

HD
Manana

Post by Manana »

Hopefuldad wrote:Hi

Southend Grammers take on 150 students in year 7, they reserve about 105 places for incatchment. Students in catchment had to, this year, get a minimum score of 303 to gain a place. If all the places are not taken up then they get transfered to the out of catchment section. Students from Out-of-catchment are allocated places purely on rank, the kids with the best scores get in.
Hope that makes sense

You have to fill in the CAF and supplementry form for CSSE to take the test

HD
HD, that is wonderful thank you.

So, just to double check-f you'd scored 302, you would have failed and been allocated another school on your list; is that correct?

Just another quick question (or two!).

Is it 5 schools you can put down?
When do you fill in the forms in?

Many many thanks!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

In Essex you can list up to four choices.This is not the same everywhere. London boroughs have up to six. Not sure about everywhere else.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Teachermum76 wrote:
So, just to double check-f you'd scored 302, you would have failed and been allocated another school on your list; is that correct?

That is correct

HD
moved

Post by moved »

Five schools in the borough of Southend. 303 is the minimum passmark every year and equates to about 55%. For a few years SHSB took down to 313 and some boys were allocated WHSB as they had scored 303-312. So 303 does not guarantee you a place.

Below 303 requires an appeal for a place. There are also two Catholic schools and two comprehensives that take a "grammar" stream and their passmark is lower approx. 290.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Check on the school websites but when we were looking at the Southend grammars, I believe SHSB were obliged to allocate 25 places to out of borough boys and WHSB were obliged to allocate 47 places - obviously some years they are able to offer more places if there are not have enough local boys to fill the remaining places. Good luck. :) :)