Are people with DCs at Indie schools having them tutored?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CoolMum5

Are people with DCs at Indie schools having them tutored?

Post by CoolMum5 »

For those who don't know, my DS is due to start at an indie (from a state school) in September. I have heard that parents are having their children tutored, not to get in to these schools, but once they are already there. I understand that there is a lot of competition at both indies and grammars - but I'm quite concerned about this. We are not happy to go down this route as it seems an inordinate amount of pressure to put on young shoulders. Perhaps I'm not pushy enough. Will this decision set my DS back? Thank you in advance for any advice. :)
hermanmunster

Re: Are people with DCs at Indie schools having them tutored

Post by hermanmunster »

I have come across kids at both indies and GS who are being tutored, seems odd to me particularly @ indie having to pay twice :shock: .

however I did consider it at a GS when DD had a truly awful maths teacher in the first year, if she was in her group for a second year I was going to find an outside tutor - just to have some chance of doing OK later. As it was I think many more parents were more vocal than me.... :wink:
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Hi CoolMum 5, I really wouldn't worry about what other parents are doing. My son (yr8) went to an Indie from a state school (with a bursary), so it was a whole new world for us. I have heard that there are boys who have tutors there, but these are the lads who are struggling and perhaps some had a little too much tuition to get in there in the first place. :?

I thought that my son would be behind to start with as the school obviously has a large intake from prep schools, but this has not proved to be the case. He is doing very well, and is definitely working to his FULL POTENTIAL due to the excellent teaching and curriculum at the school, so it would be rather pointless to have him tutored as well.

I hope your son enjoys his new school as much as mine does. :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

It really depends on the type of school, the area it's in and if it is day/boarding but I doubt more than 20% would tutor and that would not be for the whole time but probably key points such as exams. It's probably not necessary but one paranoid mum can set off a small group of other paranoid mums! :roll: It's practically impossible to tutor a boarding school pupil so if it does happen it would probably be more at a day school. DS2 is really struggling with maths just now and I am going to try and do some DIY in the holidays. I think in one specific subject it's fine but across a range of subjects would be rather worrying!
JGBallard

Post by JGBallard »

Some children do need that extra one to one support ...it clears up misconceptons and gives them confidence. Some are lucky enough to have parents that can help some lucky enough to have lots of fantastic teaching and small class sizes. Tuition isn't always about trying to PUSH children beyond their limits whether this be for NVR/VR/Maths/English. When people are amazed that children are tutored once they are in indies I think they need to remember that indies aren't perfect some are far from it- some are a lot better than others in the same way as state schools. I have had the chance to look closely at some fantastc state schools that are a lot better than some indie preps....
Overall I personally would say to anyone thinking of preparing their child for entrance at 11 + be it in state /indie..READ READ READ - and possibly if child struggling with maths a GOOD tutor (unless parent can help). (Have also seen and experienced some pretty lousy tutors who simply give out worksheets with little explanation!). Good Luck...go with what YOUR child needs. This applies equally in high school.
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

Some excellent points made by all contributors so far - thank you. I don't have a problem with tutoring where a child obviously needs extra support in a subject - I was thinking about when parents push to ensure their child is always a few steps ahead of others - which I feel must put a strain on the child. I don't want to do this to my DS. JG - I would agree with you - we made the decision to move to a very good area where we knew the local state primary had a super reputation across two neighbouring boroughs - it has served DS very well. I have a lot of experience within state primary and indie preps and would have to admit that many indie preps are lagging behind the high-performing state primaries - especially in KS1.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

That is interesting Coolmum because my experience has been very different. There are plenty rubbish indies out there but I have always found that KS1 has always been markedly ahead in all the indies we have known and I did have my boys at 3 very good village state schools during this stage. I would say that further up the school and at secondary level it all evens out though except maybe in languages but again that is a generalisation.

P.S. Not starting a "Them and Us" post! :P
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

WFG - I suppose it depends where you are. I personally, would always opt for a good state primary over a mediocre indie (no matter how good the facilities) every time...
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:P.S. Not starting a "Them and Us" post! :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: No - please don't!!
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think it definitley depends where you are, what the schools are and who the DC are. I am not aware of anyone being tutored at DDs' school. That, of course, is not to say it doesn't happen, but is definitely not pervasive and I am sure would be frowned upon by the school. Some children are given extra help in school as and when they need it, usually subject specific. Any areas where my DDs were 'behind' (comprehension/mental maths/latin) were outweighed by the sciences, in which they had definitely covered most of the Y7 curriculum already, history and geography. But perhaps more to the point, by Christmas, talent and good teaching had kicked in and those getting 'top marks' from thereon in have born no resemblence to those who arrived that way, and no relation to what type of pre-secondary education they had.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now