Improving writing

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BruceWayne

Improving writing

Post by BruceWayne »

Hi,

I have a 10 yo DS, whose writing is of a very poor standard.

I'd like to improve it, specifically focusing on
- fictional writing
- writing reports on something he's studied. He recently had to write a short report on natural disasters and took
an extremely long time to put into legible sentences, what he had just read.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, advice regarding resources or approaches that may help him.

Thanks.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Improving writing

Post by DIY Mum »

Have you seen the CGP's writing composition handbook? It is helpful in showing children how to plan and format different styles of writing. Allows them to 'home in' on paragraphs, sift out their ideas and words to improve their sentences.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Just to add (far more alert in the morning than when I'm burning the midnight oil :) ) but a sound approach for improving composition would be to 'scaffold'.

I'm in a similar situation with my ds2 (didn't feel it necessary to do composition with him as this was not an area that he'd be tested upon for the grammar school entrance exam). But recently, during 'parent meeting,' I learnt from his teacher that he needs to improve on his writing for the SATs. They have 10 mins to plan and he takes far too long. :( In addition, his sentences are vague-he understands it but the reader doesn't! His current level is 4a for composition and 5a for comprehension. Given the difference between the two areas, his teacher is convinced that if he works on composition at home, he'll improve.

I've tried 'scaffolding' previously with Ds1 using the CGP books and my own material and it was useful. But that was for a short period of time. Incidently, the English dept at his secondary school use a similar approach.
So for example, you would break the whole thing into three sections: Intro, Middle Essay and conclusion. Then break each heading down further, into sub-headings. Then for each sub-heading show him how to start it e.g 'this articles tells us how natural disasters occur. This is an interesting report because.....In my essay, I will try to summarise the main points blah blah blah..Discuss which type of words would be more effective. Take each sentence, one by one: focus on the point being made, his evidence to use (from the report) and his analysis.

From DS1 school's template, it's obvious that they practically take them by the hand, giving them sample sentences within set paragraphs to illustrate how to write a good piece of composition.

One of the major drawbacks is that it can be really time consuming and I know with ds2, I'll only be able to fit it in on a Sunday as during the weekdays they're involved with various clubs and we're all home at 7pm. Last thing I'd like to do is to work on his composition! :lol:

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

this is brilliant.

lots of information. The writing leaflets are particularly good

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstra ... 513fdd599e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
poppit

Post by poppit »

Yoyo

Excellent resource I particularly liked the 'table top' writing tips

poppit
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

Brilliant, Yoyo!

I'll print it off and laminate! :D
BruceWayne

Post by BruceWayne »

Wow,

thanks everybody.

Have you got a link to amazon for 'CGP's writing composition handbook'
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

just bung it in their search..amazon is brilliant at finding what you are looking for
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

The pocket-sized handbook is called 'Writing Rules'. Here's a link:

http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/product ... ook=E6WR21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The SAT Busters KS2 Workbooks 1-4 (covers non-fiction and fiction writing) provide further exercises. Link below:

http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/product ... _workbooks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now