Are Warks grammar schools told Year 6 SAT's results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
legaraal

Are Warks grammar schools told Year 6 SAT's results?

Post by legaraal »

Does anyone know whether Warks secondary schools are told what a child's SAT's scores are from Year 6 of their primary school? My daughter will be going to a Warwickshire grammar school in Sept. We are Solihull LEA. She is losing the will to live at her state primary, with SATs being rammed down her throat day in day out. I have told her several times that I don't give a toss what she gets in her SATs now that she has achieved a grammar school place at her first choice school. But I am wondering if she still ought to strive to get maximum "marks" in her SATs in case this information is used for setting etc.

For that matter, will her grammar school be told what she scored in the 11+?
magwich2

Re: Are Warks grammar schools told Year 6 SAT's results?

Post by magwich2 »

If its Shottery then the school will be told the 11+ scores but they don't really use them. There isn't a great correlation between them and susequent performance anyway. My DDs have only noticed a kind of relationship between those who got in on appeal for what sound like rather spurious reasons and then cannot really keep up.
Regarding the SATs we decided not to make our DD2 take them at all as they are rubbish and her lack of SATs results have never had any effect at all.
Shottery do not stream for anything until maths and french in year 9.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

they are used to set targets for KS3.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I'm not in your area but one GS here asked for the SATs together with the marks (filled in by the parents) and the other GS didn't ask at all and presumably can't have got them directly as DD's school didn't do them.

They only started setting for maths and languages in year 8 - so based on how they had got on.

.... just seen Yoyo's note - the KS3 targets were set by the CATS /Midyis whatever done in the first term

..... upshot is - don't worry - DD had a loopy day doing the CATS (apparently random answers ...) and hence has comical KS3 targets which she acheived quickly - school have finally decided that they need revising :roll:
legaraal

Post by legaraal »

Magwich - yes it is Shottery she is going to, thanks for that.

How did you manage to get away with your DD not doing SATs? I agree they are rubbish, and my DD is sick and tired of "SATs this, SATs that" blah blah blah. But I had rather assumed that if I tried to engineer some way of her not taking them, e.g. off sick / holiday etc, I might well end up in court or some other dire consequence. We have parents' evening next week at her primary, and if there is some legitimate way of her not having to do her SATs, I might plant the seeds of that then. Any ideas welcome.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

:lol: There is no legitimate way of avoiding SATS, you'll be amazed how fanatical the school is about her taking them and you'll wonder why they're so much more focussed on them than they ever have been about the things that actually matter.

Changing the subject entirely, if your child has vomiting and diarrhoea, you should keep them off school until 48 hours after the symptoms disappear. If it happens during SATS, the school may well press you very hard for your child to attend anyway, despite medical advice, but it's important for the welfare of all the other children for parents to stand firm.

Mike
saram

Post by saram »

DS2 has completely switched off - he feels he did all his hard work before the 11+ and is just marking time until September. However, the SATS are a big deal for the school and if a level 5 child doesn't sit them, then I think it skews the result for that school. My son has had a good education, and been happy, at his school. For that reason alone, I need him to sit his SATS and do his best.
ernestcyril

Post by ernestcyril »

My DD has a lot to thank her primary school for and I know her results (ok, 'I have my fingers crossed her results'!) will be good for the school. I've told her to try her best and she understands why the teacher is a little tetchy about it all so not letting it bother her overly. After all, massively long Easter holiday/Bank Hols/Royal wedding coming up very shortly and then SATs very shortly after so not much time to be made to feel nervous anyway! Wouldn't try and avoid them as she has nothing to worry about academically and I like to boost the school.
legaraal

Post by legaraal »

I guess I feel that I / my daughter do not, in fact, have much to thank her primary school for. She has been bored since year 5 whilst the teachers have focused their efforts intensively on the lower achieving children. I have raised this point at parents' evenings and had both her year 5 and year 6 teachers have looked vaguely apologetic and have said that it is "so difficult" to find material to stimulate the more able children. This is from a school which has sent the children home with lists of words to learn for spelling, with words actually misspelt on the list!! She has also been bullied for being a "geek". Although the physical bullying was brought to an end fairly promptly, following my raising the issue with the school, the verbal stuff has carried on unabated, which again the school say is "so difficult" to address.

So neither I nor DD feel in any way obliged, let alone inclined, to help "boost" the school's standing in the league tables by her putting in a great performance in her SATs.

D and V. Hmmm, interesting.

Over how many days do they actually sit the SAT's?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

off topic posts have been removed to a thread on Everything Else
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now