Reading - would our children choose it ????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Have We Got It Right

Reading - would our children choose it ????

Post by Have We Got It Right »

Hi
Just though you might like this perspective.
I visited this forum to find out what Reading could offer. Then visited open day. Son took tests (no tutoring from school or us). Got a place.
Son is strange child in family of 5 children. Plays in a band (grade 5) plays county sport and is seriously clever but also popular and "cool". We need to speak to him as though he is a lot older.
Son looks at result - "no way - Im going to ******* (local comp). I only went for the test to prove I could do it and to get a day off school" Pushed by pushy mum (me) he then said he thought the place was "dark and foreboding (his words) and that the teachers giving the intorductory talk very boring. Also commented on the very limited music facilities (he had quizzed the music teacher on the open day about the facilites for jazz/rock bands etc).
Anyway, son knows what he wants. result (after lots of discussion and lists of pros and cons) is that he is going to the local comp (" I will get the same resuls and be home sooner - and be with girls !!!!l").
I am accepting it and that is that - all his points were well made and I know that all studies of same level 11 year olds have shown no point differnence at GCSE whether they went grammar/private/comp

However... still feeling uneasy about decision ......
Abby

Post by Abby »

Guess you got it right for your son if he was so determined. Some children just know what is right for them. Others need a push in the right direction. Guess we have to take the cue from what we know of our children. You must have a good local comp for the decision to have bees so straight forward. Some of us are facing really awful alternatives.
Tomas b

Post by Tomas b »

I have to agree with your son regarding the presentations. Also, the school was very run-down compared to our local comp and there were signs of smoking behind the bike sheds and litter everywhere. However, sixth formers were really nice and friendly.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Dear Have We Got It Right,

I think it's being honest to have reservations about any school, no school is a perfect fit for a child and we cannot predict how the child/school interaction will develop.

I came away from the open evening thinking that the 'we work hard culture' was not for my child. We were happy with the option of being top at a comp. rather than middle at a super selective grammar and accepted it might mean lower grades but a happier experience.

We were offered a place and dear son warmed to the idea, we thought of plan B, it would be easier to exit Reading school if unhappy than to gain a place at 13+. So we have accepted and feel comfortable with that decision.

Given all the points you have made I am sure you have made the right decision and your son will be motivated to succeed.

Let us know how your son gets on.

Best wishes

stevew61
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi,
I hope your son will suceed at Reading.

We've been in a similar situation with our youngest daughter. She didn't want to got to Grammar like her big sister, and after much heartache at not receiving 1st choice comp on allocations day, daughter is now happy to travel about 6miles to second preference comp which she was allocated.

After taking a 2nd visit around this school, we could tell that it felt right for her, not to big and a very friendly positive vibe about it.

Hope all goes well, I will keep fingers crossed for you as well as for my daughter for the Autumn term 2007!!

Footymad xx.
Have We Got It Right

Post by Have We Got It Right »

Good point SteveW about being easier to leave than get in - guess that's why I am feeling uneasy...
It all comes down to the child I think. My friends child is going to Reading and he could seriously spend hours working out complex brainteasers and just loved doing loads of extra work before the exam (honestly - this is not just what his parents said - I know the boy). My son, on the other hand, would prefer to be doing anything active rather than sitting still for more than a nanosecond. Bright but not "academic" in that sense. I think the idea that they are pushed at Reading horrified him !
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Dear Have we got it right,

I find it rather disappointing that Reading council, do not take more pride in their flagship school(s. Not having visited Kendrick, can't comment.)
As mentioned on a previous thread, having visited RG, it does not set you alight. So must agree with your son, on that point.

The only reason I have to consider this, is that No.1 son is seriously bored at school, and his results prove this. He is not being stretched, and I believe Reading Grammar will do this for him.
I know several boys that attend, and a few more that have recently obtained places. I've heard some interesting things, but in all honesty am glad that it sounds just like any other school. Boys will be boys, and still are even here.

My main concern about not getting a place, is that he would then be bored at the local, average but with excellent facilities, secondary school.

Knowing a friend who's child was not able to get a place, due to their authorities old 'first preference' criteria, they now regret that they hadn't given it a go, as their highly able son, is now bored and getting into all sorts of trouble to alleviate this.
I am accepting it and that is that - all his points were well made and I know that all studies of same level 11 year olds have shown no point difference at GCSE whether they went grammar/private/comp
You've done your research, and know your son best. He sounds like a sensible young man, who knows his mind. He's made the right choice for him, and as he knows what he wants, he'll go after it and will succeed where ever he goes.

Best of luck

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Have We Got It Right - you have made the best decision, now support your son so he can achieve his potential in all his activities ! I to initially found the school buildings, "dark and foreboding" but for my son's benefit I translated this into Hogwarts.

Footymad - Your postings show how strong and supportive you are, your daughter will do well and enjoy herself.

Bewildered - The continued existence of Reading School is one of life’s ironies given the politics of Reading Borough Council. I believe they tried to remove the selective status in the 1970s but backed down after a petition with over 30,000 names on it !

For any one reading this and wanting to form their own opinion about the school on Saturday 19th May 11 am to 2 pm the school is holding its PTA Spring Fayre, I went last year as a prospective parent and it was the start of me introducing ( brainwashing? ) my son to the school.

stevew61
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Footymad, I'm pleased to hear your daughters happy with the school. Have to agree with Stevew61, with such a supportive mother, she can't go wrong :)

Stevew61, words of wisdom as always!! All schools have good and bad points. and Yes, people must visit and make up there own minds. I like the Hogwarts slant, quite appropriate.

BW
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Reading your post, Have We Got It Right, I was thinking of a 16 year old, but of course, your son is only 10 or 11. I am sure that with so much determination for a young person, he will do brilliantly wherever he goes, specially if he likes it!

Secondary school choice is a very big worry for most of us parents, even if the choice is grammar school. What if the school is too academic, too boring or too hard, and what about friends, and transport....
Once year 7 starts, it becomes a reality and the worries go away.

I am sure that you made the right decision.

All the best

Catherine