CATs

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Clare

CATs

Post by Clare »

I am trying to get my head around CATs and how they relate to the 11 plus.

So with a score of 118 NPR 89 does that mean he is in top 11 per cent nationally? Should you be looking for scores above 121?

Theoretically your child could be in top 30 per cent nationally but has to be top 30 per cent in Bucks is this correct?

Also have scores of 127,123 and 112 but don't have NPR for these.Anyone know how I can convert/find these figures?

Child had Quantative 116 one year and 127 the next .I am wondering why that would vary by as much as 11 points.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Etienne

Re: Cats

Post by Etienne »

Clare wrote:So with a score of 118 NPR 89 does that mean he is in top 11 per cent nationally?
Yes
Should you be looking for scores above 121?
Ideally, the higher the better, so yes. However, it's up to individual panel members to decide what is acceptable. Some (possibly a minority) might be satisfied with 121, others might be looking for scores in the mid-120s.
Theoretically your child could be in top 30 per cent nationally but has to be top 30 per cent in Bucks is this correct?
No. You can't compare a national test like CATs with a locally standardised test like the Bucks 11+. The standard of the Bucks 11+ is said to be much higher,
Also have scores of 127,123 and 112 but don't have NPR for these.Anyone know how I can convert/find these figures?
The table at the end of B28 will give you an idea:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Child had Quantative 116 one year and 127 the next .I am wondering why that would vary by as much as 11 points.
A single test is not always reliable.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Clare
Clare wrote:Child had Quantative 116 one year and 127 the next .I am wondering why that would vary by as much as 11 points.
To add to what Etienne says, I would hope that a panel would give more weight to the 127, for the simple reason that it cannot be a "fluke". If a child has scored 127, then 116 cannot be the limit of their ability, if you get my drift.

If the 116 was her first ever CATs tests she may not have grasped the overall concept of them - some children don't. Most scores that I have seen increase in the second year.

Sally-Anne
Clare

Post by Clare »

Thank you both very much. Everything crystal clear now.

Clare
robinia

Re: CATs

Post by robinia »

I'm a newbie here and have a question relating to CATs.

My son achieved SAS scores of 141 (verbal) 118 (quantitative) and 137 (non-verbal).
Are these equivalent to the Kent 11+ scores which are out of 140? I'm confused because I understood that to achieve a score of 140 you needed to get 75% of the questions right (approximately - adjusted for age etc). but my son got 77/78 verbal for example.

I am wondering if I can use his CATs scores to support and appeal against non-qualification although I am aware his quantative score is quite low (as it was in the 11+ although it was still a pass).