Clerical Re-Check of GCE scripts - advice needed

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hilda

Clerical Re-Check of GCE scripts - advice needed

Post by Hilda »

We have a photocopy of my DC's GCE paper which is marked with electronic ticks. For one question the number of ticks does not match the mark allocated for that question. It does match for other questions, and it looks as if one page on which the answer was given although marked was missed in the mark tot up

Am I correct that each tick should equal one mark?

If we request a clerical re-check does that check include counting up the number of ticks?

The exam board is OCR

Hilda
hermanmunster

Re: Clerical Re-Check of GCE scripts - advice needed

Post by hermanmunster »

is that GCE A level?

not sure how the marks are totted up - I know that they get a raw score which is then converted to a UMS score which seems to bear little relationship to the raw score.
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

Hi

Yes GCE is A level

The ticks I believe relate to raw score.

Raw score to UMS can then be calculated roughly by looking at the Grade Boundaries which are published by the exam boards which show you the raw score cut off marks for each grade boundary, then the UMS is allocated so that 90=A8, 80=A, 70=B etc.

My only question is does the clerical check count up the ticks.

The guidelines say it checks all questions have been marked and the totals added up correctly. In our case all pages were marked with lots of ticks :-), but when the score for one question was transferred to the front page then only the ticks from one page on which the question was answered were entered and not those on another page onto which the answer spread.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

When I asked for a re-mark of my paper, my subject grade went down - what can I do?
The review of marking can lead to a mark going up, going down or remaining the same. When you request a review of the marking of your paper, you will be asked to sign a candidate consent form, to confirm that you understand this. The new result is the one that stands.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/learners/faqs/#nogo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ask the school to look at the paper and offer some help, will those few ticks boost a grade or a re-mark risk a reduction?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

One of ours had a remark of the GCSE double science exams....he missed out surprisingly on BB (back in the day before modules). When he went back to school, he discovered he was only 2 marks from the A/B grade boundary, and therefore 8 away from the lower B/C boundary. We requested a remark, and low and behold he was awarded AA....one of the papers, Chemistry, methinks, got 12 extra marks on the remark, giving him a comfortable AA as was expected.
We were asked to sign something to say we knew the mark could go down once remarked, but as he was very near the higher grade we felt it unlikely that a remark would discover that the paper was originally marked too high by enough to drop the grade to CC. However it was frightening how many marks were missed out on the original marking.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now