Non Qual Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SPUD

Non Qual Appeal

Post by SPUD »

Hi

I live in Wirral and my son hoped to go to Wirral Grammar. He missed the required mark by 5 points, was referred by his headteacher to the Independent Assessment Panel who decided he was non grammar.

I have filled in an appeal form, not heard anything yet.

Do many non qualification cases get through?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Sue

Post by Guest »

Hi SPUD,

I'm also in Wirral and appealing, I handed in my letter the day before they were due in (21st of march I believe), I asked for a receipt and on it was a number to call if I didn't receive any acknowledgement.
I received back my acknowledgement letter a few days later, about 10 days ago now.
I would get in touch with them ASAP as everyone who fills out an appeal form will be given an appeal hearing.

Just to put your mind at ease just because a head teacher’s appeal failed doesn't mean yours will also as it is a separate hearing and will be heard on the evidence you provide.

Another titbit of info is WGB is under subscribed and although it will not change if you succeed or not at appeal, it does mean that you won't have to appeal again for a place.

If you want any further info you can always PM me.
I wish you all the best.

AM

PS. I will look out the number and send it to you shortly because it’s a separate department to the LEA who deals with it.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Sorry that was me!!
Forgot to log in again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Despite its name, the Independent Assessment Board in Wirral is, I think, appointed by the LEA. The Appeal Panel, on the other hand, should be completely independent, which is why Appeal Mum has the phone number for a separate department.

The Dfes publishes appeal statistics for primary and secondary schools, but unfortunately appeals against non-qualification (and for oversubscribed grammar schools) are not shown separately. You could try asking the admission authority for last year's figures under the Freedom of Information Act.

Regards
Etienne
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

I just looked out the receipt I got when I handed in my appeal form.

A formal acknowledgement will be sent to you shortly. If you do not receive written acknowledgement to your appeal form within 2 weeks of its submission please telephone Corporate Services Department on 691 8488/8608
Do many non qualification cases get through?
Supposedly 1 in 3 appeals go through, beware though as this is all school appeals, primary, over subscribed, secondary and non qualification.
In essence the numbers could vary quite significantly for each one.

Etienne is the best person to answer your questions as I'm only learning as I'm going along.
She is a walking, talking, typing appeal expert.

Hope this helps you.

AM
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Wow! Let me rephrase that:

Etienne is a walking, talking, typing and mind reader appeal expert.

You sure type fast Etienne!

AM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, AM
You're too kind :oops:
Etienne
SPUD

Thanks

Post by SPUD »

Thank you so much for all the info. I will ring that number and see what's what.

I had heard a rumour that WGB was under sunscribed, and a neighbours child got a place even though he was 2 marks short of a pass - so fingers and toes crossed.

Good luck to you too AM.

Sue
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

SUNSCRIBED????? You know what I mean.

Ha ha
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Apparently Head teachers were asked to recommend children who didn't pass but who were scoring over 125 in NFER standardised tests because of under subscription in both schools.
That might be how your neighbour got in.

I phoned before regarding the girl's school and was told there are 33 appeals for WGG all are non-qualification, at least everyone is in the same boat.
I think you will find the same is true for WGB.

Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck!

AM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now