the NEW 'offical 11+practice papers'

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wardie

the NEW 'offical 11+practice papers'

Post by wardie »

Has anyone seen the new practice papers published in the last month or so?

Having a Y5 DD I bought some (as DS used the |old ones 3 years ago) and taking a look at them they seem so much more difficult than the old ones. (or is it me getting old and the brain cells drying up :wink: )

Those old feelings of panic have surfaced.

I was wondering if it has one like the old 11A NVR? When I looked them over they all look the same, but then I'm no expert ( just an obsessive 11+er :roll: )

I would be interested to hear others views on these papers.
:D
mitasol

Re: the NEW 'offical 11+practice papers'

Post by mitasol »

I have the new VR papers but I've only glanced through them. They're on my to-do list! :roll:
bulu

Post by bulu »

I went through the new VR Test 5 with child at the weekend and was surprised to find it contained all the HIKNOS types as well as 4 type Zs! Argh!

All four new papers contain some HIKNOS so I wonder if they might all come up in this year's Kent test.

I agree the maths papers seem different too - questions on bearings, pie charts with degrees, averages or probability rather than the old percentages, function machines with algebra, triangle dotty paper questions, misleading adverts, finding nth terms...

Sigh. Was just feeling I had got to grips with the old papers. Don't know yet if they are more difficult as have only flicked through but understand the panic. (Writing this I'm on Maths Test 5, Q38, which was easy so took username from it!!)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

The new Letts papers arent the official ones. They have quite a few mistake too and some vague questions esp VR. We discussed it here last year. The original old papers (now GL Assessment but used to be Letts) which are now rebranded in diff packaging are the best tried and tested and come from the Official 11+ examiners. Dont make anything of these "new" Letts papers, just treat them like any other papers with a handful of mistakes too.

Also note that the old papers are exactly the same as the new official papers even though packaging is diff so those with old papers dont need to get any of now "new" rebranded GL Assessment papers.
Impossible is Nothing.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Sherry, we are talking about the new GL papers (Pack 2) not the Letts. :) http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... D30%23b444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Damn didnt realise GL had pack 2 now :oops:
Impossible is Nothing.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

They only came out last month.
bulu

Post by bulu »

Finally plucked up the courage to open the new NVR papers (still in recovery from 11A) and found no new types and no nets of cubes. The 8 types are now named as:

Crack the Horizontal Code
Complete the Series
Find the Diagram Like the First Three
Find the Diagram Like the First Two
Complete the Grid
Complete the Pair
Crack the Vertical Code
Find the Odd One Out

The answer booklet also has an explanatory note for one question per section.

We've been using Bond books and, like VR, Bond NVR has a lot more question types.

Off to learn how to find nth term now, for new maths papers...do they actually learn that term in primary school?
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Off to learn how to find nth term now, for new maths papers...do they actually learn that term in primary school?
Yes. They do in my DS's primary school anyway, but only in a very basic way as an introduction, so worth exploring further.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

bulu wrote:I went through the new VR Test 5 with child at the weekend and was surprised to find it contained all the HIKNOS types as well as 4 type Zs! Argh!

All four new papers contain some HIKNOS so I wonder if they might all come up in this year's Kent test.

I agree the maths papers seem different too - questions on bearings, pie charts with degrees, averages or probability rather than the old percentages, function machines with algebra, triangle dotty paper questions, misleading adverts, finding nth terms...

Sigh. Was just feeling I had got to grips with the old papers. Don't know yet if they are more difficult as have only flicked through but understand the panic. (Writing this I'm on Maths Test 5, Q38, which was easy so took username from it!!)
Is there any reason to believe that the fact that new areas are covered in the new papers is an indication that the content of the Kent tests will change bearing in mind they are not published by KCC ( I accept that it was widely thought that the old Nfer papers were the closest to the Kent test in terms of content)??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now