does choice of primary school affect chances at 11 plus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Debims

does choice of primary school affect chances at 11 plus?

Post by Debims »

Hi there
My DD is at a primary school in Cheltenham - a very good one, where we are happy with 99% of what she is learning and experiencing. She is at the top of her class in every subject and we have every reason to believe she will excel academically. However when I expressed the wish at a parent evening that she go to a GS I was met with an expression of horror and the comment that "Grammar schools are not necessarily the best option".
Anyway my point is the school obviously is not going to support our attempts to get her into GS - so it's all down to us. I'm prepared to get a tutor in Yr 6 if that's what it takes, but I wanted to ask if anyone thinks the choice of primary school is going to affect her chances - they won't practice non-verbal reasoning, they will encourage her to go the the nearest comp (not going to happen) and we will feel as if we are bucking the system. Am I over-worried or is this common? Any comments welcome, I'm new to this!
Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: does choice of primary school affect chances at 11 plus?

Post by hermanmunster »

can very much be a teacher's personal (or political) opinion - don't worry as this often happens. Some church schools are anti GS as they want kids to go to the church secondary, my DDs prep were anti - think they found prepping for the exam more difficult than indies where they could always get kids in so did not encourage people to "have a go" if not good candidates (not good for the stats :wink: ) - parents have to just get on with it and do what they feel is right.
Gypsypony

Post by Gypsypony »

Hi Debims, my experience with the primary was very like yours. They were very anti, when I brought the subject up at parents evening they just ignored my questions.
My advice would be to keep her where she is, she's obviously very bright, and get her assessed by a 11+ tutor in Yr 6. You may be lucky she may only need a few weeks tutoring! :D

I'd say keep the fact that you're going for GS to yourselves, the school really don't need to know. After all it's your DD and your decision not theirs!
They'll be the first to take the credit when she passes though :wink:
Debims

Post by Debims »

Thank you, good advice - and I love the positive thinking!
Chelt_Dad

Post by Chelt_Dad »

Debims
Just a thought but getting an assessment in yr 6 might be leaving it a little tight given the exam is now in October and not November anymore. If nothing else familiarity with the type of questions they encounter is vital for the children and four weeks to do this might not be enough, you know your DD best of course!
Chelt_Dad
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi Debims

Don't worry - there is some sort of silly rule about Gloucestershire Primaries not being supposed to support the Grammar school system, and 90% of the schools stick to this. I only know of two Primaries that promote it and neither are near Chelt. (if you want to know which ones they are please feel free to PM me).

We didn't get any help from school and were met with blank faces whenever we mentioned the possiblity of a Grammar for our DD. You are probably on your own unless you can find another parent doing the same thing, but there is lots of information on this forum (check out the sticky at the top of the Glos. forum for info. on the basics) and lots of people on here to offer advice and support :D

Pixiequeen
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Hi Debims
what year is your DD in? Year 5 DCs usually start 11 + prep after xmas but there is still plenty of time. Don't wait for Y6 though, it is a bit late then. Test is Oct as C- Dad says. If you want to DIY there is loads of advice on this forum or look for a tutor. Don't forget you only need VR not NVR for Gloucestershire Grammars.

Primary schools seem to differ in their attitude, although ours does not prepare Dcs the teacher would happily recommend to parents that their Dc was capable of entering if they want to. It is really up to you if you want to try for GS. Have a look round on open evenings, you have 3 for girls in Chelt/Gloucester and lots of girls go without knowing anyone else if they are the only one from their primary going. Best of luck.
myangelpie

Post by myangelpie »

We had zero support from the school and the only comment mentioned to us before the grammar test was "well it will be good experience for him" our school in Cheltenham simply does not engage on this subject. We found our own tutor and he did pass which I'm delighted and even though he's passed at the last parents evening it still was not celebrated/congratulated. It's weird and I used to take it personally, but after reading many posts on this forum I realise it's the norm. For what ever reason grammar is a dirty word (heaven forbid). Oh well let them celebrate swimming 20 meters and passing junior ski school if that makes them happier! (sorry still slighly bitter!)

Good luck and I wish you success in future. :)
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi
Just to add to what the others have said. My sons primary did not encourage nor engage with discussion about grammar schools. I asked if they had the ability and was told, for both of them "Well you could give it a go." Both my boys passed for Pates and so I did more than "give it a go" :lol:

You will get used to the idea that this is one avenue where you are likely to recieve very little support both from school or other mums in the playground. I would advise to get a tutor now and start working if you have not already. Some bright kids have been known to fail (for whatever reason) and it would therefore be folly to leave it to year 6 and not give your DC the best chance to consolidate learning.

It is also very rewarding and possible to tutor your DC yourself, if they are of a nature to tolerate it :P

Don't take all the 'anti-grammar' chat to heart. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs about the system but it is you who has to make the decision for your child, not the school. Keep smiling and good luck!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

DD2's primary has changed recently. The former Head was politically opposed to Grammars, though I'd heard one of his children went to one. The new Head has at least one child at Grammar, and I assume more on the way (and probably gets the same bus as Gypsy Pony's DD).

He has started parent advice evenings for Y5's where they can find out about all the local schools & ask him questions. He's got a folder of information in the front lobby which includes names of local 11+ tutors (not recommendations, though).

Some teachers are happy to talk 11+, others are not.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now