Latymer Upper

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ealingmum

Latymer Upper

Post by ealingmum »

It's interesting that Latymer Upper is complaining about the opening of the West London Free school next door to them. They are clearly worried about the competition - not the traffic. Latymer Upper of course only turned around its poor value for money reputation - high fees and mediocre results - by going fully co-ed. Wonder how many other rather smug indpendent schools might fear new competition from academies and free schools.
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: Latymer Upper

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Welcome back Ealingmum, you have been missed!

I must ask my three Oxford grads who went to Latymer how the school faired academically when they went there...
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

Latymer's opposition to the West London Free school says it all for me.

Rather than welcome greater choice, variety in the educational offer to parents and hopefully higher standards all round some independent schools trade on delineating and enforcing difference between the state and the independent sector.

The school that is helping West London Free school set up is the fine state, voluntary aided comprenhensive London Oratory school.

(Your post merely verifies the popular myth that someone who went to Oxbridge will tell you that they did within 2 minutes of meeting them).

Three cheers for Toby Young.
Waiting_For_Godot

Huh? :?

None of my Oxford friends told me they went to Oxford and anyone else that I know that went to Oxbridge never brought up where they went.

I have no problem with Free Schools, the more the merrier I say. I take it you have been priviliged enough to get DC a place there so you can continue to sit on your high horse and criticise other forms of schooling. :roll:
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

I went to Oxford! I went to Oxford! Yippee! Admire me!
No, seriously - to those of us who went there - it's no big deal - after all, for 3 or 4 years we spent every day with 'Oxbridge' people - it loses its allure after a while.
I also went to the University of London, and the University of Kent - and I'm just as likely to talk about my experiences there.

Funnily enough, I did go to a former 'private faith school' that was transformed into a Grammar some time after the war. When the school looked to expand (because it was thriving - I was one of 11 Oxbridge entrants from an upper sixth of only 80) a site opposite the school was purchased only for it to be discovered later that the land had previously belonged to the school in its 'private' days and had been sold with the condition that it should never be used as part of an educational establishment! There were some red faces on the council, no doubt - but it goes to show that even successful schools (and I had always thought Latymer was one of these - 28% A*s at A level ok for you?) have never wanted other schools on the doorstep. :lol
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

I am of course not criticising other people's choice of schooling for their DC. I am however expressing sadness but perhaps no real surprise that Latymer Upper - who are better placed than mosts schools to support the West London Free school get up and running - are complaining against the establishment of the school on "traffic" grounds. Please!

BTW my DC are not going to the West London Free school but I hope it does well despite oposition from schools who claiim also to espouse the values of a classical, liberal education.
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

I hate Toby Young, he is going to cost the taxpayer a huge amount of money just because he wants latin lessons for his DCs - couldn't he just pay for them himself? According to his blog he has already dictated the reading list for this school!!! It should just be called the Toby Young Academy.
As for The Oratory being a good state school that is because it has found ways of weeding out non-middle class parents. Parents visiting The Oratory are told that all uniform items must be bought from the school supplier and not the local supermarket, they justify this by saying that parents can't complain because they aren't having to pay school fees! For a low income family with 4 children the extra cost of the uniform will send them to a school with a cheaper alternative along the road.
Now The Oratory are busy advising the Toby Young Academy on how to weed out the non-desirables, music seems to be their weapon of choice. Music lessons are expensive, how many working class 10 year olds struggle up the stairs of their tower block with a harp strung to their backs?
I honestly think the state should just offer to educate all Toby Young's children privately, it will save us a fortune.
marigold

Post by marigold »

I could not have put it better myself.

Middle class me, me, me, at its very worst.
Waiting_For_Godot

I enquired about a music place as I have with the local grammar schools and WLFS said that they would not take previous attainment into consideration as this is class biased.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

WFG,

I don't understand that last post...... genuinely :? Please explain it as I must be having a thickie moment :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now