Results disappointing

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
alliswell

Results disappointing

Post by alliswell »

My son who is in Year 12 has taken his first module exams and the results were not as we had expected. He scored E in Maths Statistics, B in Physics, C in Biology and A in Chemistry. His maths teacher at school has implied that even if he does a resit in Maths in January it will impact his application for the Russell group university. He has also advised us that Russell university does not like resit. Is this true?
bromley mum

Re: Results disappointing

Post by bromley mum »

It all varies.Unis get to see module/resit history now, and all treat differently.

Some don't care as long as A2 done within the 2 years, others may increase offer grades etc. Some are more specific: For eg

Warwick - Law

Do you consider applicants offering resit A Level grades?
Only if the applicant was adversely affected by circumstances beyond their control
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi alliswell and welcome to the forum.

I am just getting used to AS / A2 and modules - @ DS's GS I think there were quite a few who had a "wake up call" with the AS modules, and I gather that this is not unusual. As Bromley mum says some are interested in the actual score of each module while others are interested in the overall scores done in 2 years.

To some extent it depends what he wants to do and whether he plans to take 4 @ A2 or 3.

:roll: Can see I am going to have to have to spend some time on "student room" to get up to speed on this.... have you found this site? very useful at this stage ...feels like the EPE forum of sixth form / university.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Thank you Bromley mum and Hermanmunster . My son wants to do engineering and hence I was worried that with grades he got in the first Module he will find it hard later on. Hope he will realise the amount of effort and hardwork he needs to put in!

I found the forum very helpful and also reassuring that there were other parents out there who were as anxious and confused as I am at the moment :?
KB

Post by KB »

Can he not do the resit in the Summer - that is normally what happens at DCs school, then at least they have a good result to put on the UCAS application?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think the concern is that it is not just the AS result that goes down on the UCAS form but the fact that some universities are asking for ALL module results - original and resits.
daughter

Post by daughter »

The way I understand it is that the module only counts if it is "cashed in" (think that is the terminology though I may have got it wrong). Of course you do have to re-sit within that same cycle e.g January ones can not be "cashed in" but re-sat in June - you then have to cash them in (and declare for UCAS).
If you choose to re-sit any AS modules in your A2 year you will have had to declare on UCAS. So you can get away with resitting January modules (non cashed in ones), but not June ones. Hopefully this makes sense?!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daughter

Post by daughter »

I agree with Belinda - take advice from the school regarding re-sits they really do know what they are doing. Also only Cambridge (on SAQ) require that you give your AS grades on your UCAS form although I know my DD's school recommended they added them even if not so great as they thought not to declare them may seem worse. I know this is not what all schools recommend.
In many ways the most important thing about AS grades (Belinda is right ultimately it is A2's that count), is that the school will predict A2 grades largely based on your AS actual grades. They will often be willing to predict up by 1 grade e.g. sitting on a B at AS they may be happy to predict an A ...but it is my experience rarely more than one grade up. So if at the end of AS you are sitting with ABCC they wont predict AAA! Without an AAA prediction many sought after courses won't even look at you - but many more will! It is areal nightmare and there seem to be no guarantees of offers whatever your grades and predictions. Do ask the school though as I keep telling my DD they have your best interests at heart (even if only to boost their subject/school league tables!). Best wishes.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Thank you Belinda and 'daughter'. This is quite a lot to take in and your inputs and guidance is greatly appreciated. I have arranged a meeting with the school to discuss this and hopefully with their help my son will be back on track.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now