Should I go to Egypt?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rachag

Should I go to Egypt?

Post by rachag »

...at the end of this week?
OH on the other side of the world at the mo so can't mull it over with him :roll:
Torrylee

Re: Should I go to Egypt?

Post by Torrylee »

I think only you can make that decision for your family but if it's any help we are going next week and I'm really looking forward to it :D

We are going to Sharm el Sheikh. Since we booked the holiday there have been:

Shark attacks
Civil uprising
And today ... a bomb threat to a Thomson plane (guess who we are travelling with :? ).

I will admit that I would not be booking this same holiday if I had the choice today but the political situation seems relatively calm and hopefully airport security will be heightened. Where in Egypt are you going? There is plenty of positive advice on the Tripadvisor forums ... :)
zorro

Post by zorro »

Rachag, are you going there for a holiday?
If so, I would consider somewhere else. If it's a business or essential trip that's different and you just have to look at all the advice available and weigh up the pros and cons.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We were supposed to be going this year, never one to book early on these big holidays, we are pleased to be able to defer it for a year or two until things have calmed down.

Hope you are able to have a great holiday if you do go.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Yes it is a holiday.
We have had holidays there before and really like it. The service is excellent and the heat is just georgeous, although definitely not a place to go to in summer as too hot then IMO . I had not been that impressed by fish before but they are amazing there.
I am sure that once in Sharm there will be no problems and really, the security will be very tight at the airports. I had not been concerned by the uprising as that settled very quickly and Sharm is 7 hours from Cairo. I am just worried by this thing today but it seems only to have been a phoned threat.
I will follow it on the news and see how it pans out in the next 48 hours and then decide whether to go or take the hit on the money lost.
Torrylee - it is a great place for a holiday. At the moment though I just wish I had a Harry potter style port key or flue powder to get there!
lara228

Post by lara228 »

My DSs babysitter just got back from a week in Sharm - absolutely no problems, great weather, a bit quiet (but it's not school holiday time) and superb service in hotel. She highly recommended it - the people were lovely, especially grateful towards tourists at the moment.