Disatches - Cashing in on Degrees

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Disatches - Cashing in on Degrees

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Anyone actually wondered what the point of this programme was about? Surely everyone is allowed a second, third or fourth job? :?
hermanmunster

Re: Disatches - Cashing in on Degrees

Post by hermanmunster »

what were they saying in the programme? - sorry just busy at my third job so not able to watch it!
Waiting_For_Godot

hermanmunster wrote:what were they saying in the programme? - sorry just busy at my third job so not able to watch it!
They'll be making a programme about your profession cashing in next! :shock: :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I'll ignore that comment WFG, because believe me, between 40,000 patient and me I am earning it here at 11pm...

so what was it about then?? - haven't got a telly here!!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I believe it was looking at the pay and benefits of university managers.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

The programme was higlighting the fact that most if not all uni vc's earn more than the prime minister. they earn an average salary of 250k whilst some at the higher end of the scale earn almost 400k.
this does not include the homes provided for them by the university which most claimed they use for entertaining plus most of them jave three or four other jobs.

it also mentions the fact that Biritish university are using international students as cash cows and going as far as to open campuses in various countries just to boost the uni's income.

a lecturer was interviewed who implied he was sacked as he failed some students who he believes did little or no research work on their course work, when the work was taken to a panel, the students were again given a fail but the uni bosses did not agree and proceeded to give the work to another lecturer who eventually passed the students. This man felt his credibility had been damaged and had to resign.

The programme also highlighted that the rise in Uni fees was propagandered by University chiefs who are now pretending as if they know nothing about it and it was all down to the govt.

It was a very interesting programme and whilst I am not condoning waste i think the UK needs to be very competitive in attracting the best people to these jobs, however am not sure that level of pay is justified.
Waiting_For_Godot

I wasn't having a go at your profession Herm but having a go at documentaries which seem to complain about what everyone other than those on the national average wage get paid. My sister will become a GP this year so it would not cross my mind to criticise the health care profession.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I wasn't having a go at your profession Herm but having a go at documentaries which seem to complain about what everyone other than those on the national average wage get paid.
You are right. No one has thought to critisise most of these professions when the going was good and people had enough credit available to live fake lives even when they had no means of paying back. Now that everyone has had to tighten their belts, people are screaming about others earning so much.

whilst I am not saying we should be paying over the odds when the economy is struggling, the truth is these vp's have not had a pay rise for the last couple of years so they are getting their own share of the pain.

The programme offered no solutions and I cannot imagine vp's now having to cut their pay in half to macth the prime minster's salary when they have been able to enjoy such high pays for several years.

Anyone that wants to complain should offer a solution then a constructue dialogue can be held not just throwing dirt out there
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Shutting down 50% of universities would be a good start!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

hermanmunster wrote: because believe me, between 40,000 patient and me I am earning it here at 11pm...

A bit off topic.......sorry.....but when i see you have posted, Herman I always have a vision of you sitting at your desk with your earphones on having a telephone consultation with poor Mr Brown about his rather large piles but at the same time writing something intellectual for this forum.......don't ever get mixed up , will you ?!! :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now