Slow cooker - is it worth buying or waste of space

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WorriedRuby

Slow cooker - is it worth buying or waste of space

Post by WorriedRuby »

Hi,

Is slow cooker really good and efficient? does it take lots of electricity? do i need to baby sit the cooker?

sorry lots of questions as I am bit confused whether buy or not to buy.
:?
Snowdrops

Re: Slow cooker - is it worth buying or waste of space

Post by Snowdrops »

Slow cookers are great. You chuck the ingredients in early morning, and that's it until tea time. No messing, no hanging round. It doesn't take great huge amounts of electricity either.

The only downside is getting the stuff ready early in the morning to put in - but I suppose you could do it the night before (peel and chop etc) then throw it all in as you're going out the door.

All in all I would say buy one!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Actually, I was thinking of buying one too as lots of my work colleagues have them and say it's great to have a meal waiting for you when you get home or if you get in late with the children after clubs etc. You don't have to babysit them.....not sure how much electricity they use though.

I've just got to find the space for it in my cupboard now.....amongst the dusty ice cream maker....doughnut maker.....
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

When I first got one many, many years ago it was reckoned they used the equivalent of a light bulb. I suppose that would still hold true today.

The whole idea of the slow cooker is that it's cooked at a very low heat for a long time (hence the same heat output as a lightbulb).

Just make sure everything you put is is roughly the same size and you can't go wrong - there are loads of slowcooker cook books out there these days.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Don't have one...yet! But I know lots and lots of people who own one and swear buy them. Not one of them uses it just once and then it's redundant so it's not just a silly fad, is next on my list of items I need :D
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

I swear by my slow cooker, so handy after spending the day at work, to come home to dinner done ! :) :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That's it..... I'm sold ! Shall meet you in Comets , Worried Ruby ! :)
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

They were on on offer in a well know supermarket with a blue and white bag...half price...not sure if offer has ended yet ??
patricia

Post by patricia »

We have 2 slow cooker meals most weeks.

Mince that is either curried, chillied or savoury

Stewing steak with sauce made up of Bisto thick gravy and red wine.

Use ready chopped up vegetables or even tinned together with various jars of sauces and or spices/herbs.

Just throw it all in, give it a stir, turn on and leave...

Served with a variety of dishes, salad/jackets/rice/garlic bread/chapatis/naan etc etc.

My uni son has just requested one.

My daughter wants one when she leaves home.

My other son just loves the end product.

Patricia
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I have one sitting on my kitchen shelf.I have never used it :oops: It was my husband's and he used to use it before he was married, then he no longer needed to cook for himself - of course. :roll:
Would love some creative ideas for meals to cook with it - might dust it off then.... :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now