Hay Fever - what does your child take?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiredmum

Hay Fever - what does your child take?

Post by tiredmum »

My dd1 gets bad hay fever starting from about this time of year, was wondering what others give their dc's in this situation to help ease the symptons?
blessedmum

Re: Hay Fever - what does your child take?

Post by blessedmum »

My dd gets it really bad as well. Her eyes start to water and she gets recurrent styes
Last year, i used the New Era medication from holland and barrett and she felt it helped a lot plus lots of eye drops from the pharmacy
I am bracing myself for another year.
LandermereMum

Post by LandermereMum »

DD1 takes Nelsons Pollenna from about now which is excellent, but during May and June it doesn't stop her hay fever completely so she takes piriton during summer exams. Her hay fever tends to clear up from July. Nelsons Pollenna can be located in Holland & Barrett.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

My DS2(5yrs) suffers badly, during hayfever season he takes cetirizine first thing in the morning and Avamys nasal spray which has worked wonders most of the time.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

usually end giving kids loratadine or cetirizine - particularly if doing exams ... piriton very effective but induces excess somnolence
doodles

Post by doodles »

We use Clarityn which I think, Herman can correct me, is loratadine. Can either buy the Clarityn or Boots do their own loratadine which is exactly the same but a lot cheaper.

Works a treat for DS2 and doesn't seem to have the sleepiness effect that some of them have had on him.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yep clarityn in loratadine - only thing I can take without fallins asleeee............ zzzzzzzzzzzz
doodles

Post by doodles »

Apparently it doesn't taste too good though!! DS prefers the Clarityn tablets but they are ridiculously expensive for about 7 tablets so he has to have the non-branded syrup - cruel mother that I am.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed re the packets of 7 clarityn but worth having a look at "own brand" eg supermarket "hay fever and allergy tabs" - these are often loratadine and less the £1 .
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS has bad hay fever and found that one of the OTC ones didn't work and the other made him extremely bad tempered - according to a friendly immunologist I know that's another CNS manifestation like sleepiness. I can tell you it was such a relief when we took him off (I think it was cetirizine) and realised that he hadn't turned into a monster!! He now takes flixonase nasal spry and telfast tablets which he starts a month before he would expect symptoms. That reminds me...

Worked an absolute treat last year.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now