Why is everyone giving me such a hard time?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dduck

Why is everyone giving me such a hard time?

Post by dduck »

Since I have started telling people that my dd got a place at Habs many people are smirk and say things like "oh you're happy now but you'll soon find out!"

Can someone enlighten me. It doesn't seem to happen to my friends with dds going to St. Albans or St Margarets.

One even told me that her friend's dd couldn't get a uni place here just because she was at Habs.

Today someone sent me the link to a Daily Mail report about Beck's kids not being welcome to Habs as they were not bright enough and asked if I wanted my dd at such stuck up school.

What have I missed? :?:
muffinmonster

Re: Why is everyone giving me such a hard time?

Post by muffinmonster »

Sorry, I can't tell you anything about Habs, but you need nicer friends! Can't understand why people would be denigrating your choice like this, especially as your DC must have worked very hard to get there.
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

dduck wrote:Since I have started telling people that my dd got a place at Habs many people are smirk and say things like "oh you're happy now but you'll soon find out!"

Can someone enlighten me. It doesn't seem to happen to my friends with dds going to St. Albans or St Margarets.

One even told me that her friend's dd couldn't get a uni place here just because she was at Habs.

Today someone sent me the link to a Daily Mail report about Beck's kids not being welcome to Habs as they were not bright enough and asked if I wanted my dd at such stuck up school.

What have I missed? :?:

I assume you and your DD liked the school, did some basic "research" into what the school stands for, what it feels like and what it produces - and are happy with it.

Nothing else matters... just ignore :D

If you dig deep on the internet there is no "sought after" school on which you will not find anything "negative" about.

There are also clips on a famous video sharing site which show some concerning footage from very highly regarded schools in this forum.. private as well as state (including ones which people say they cannot find anything negative about).

Hey ho!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I take it these so called friends have children going to a different school to Habs ? !

There's your answer.....sour grapes I'm afraid.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Your child got into the school that has the most kudos in the area....won't take long for thick skin to grow!
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Hi,
Older posters will remember that I had some similar reactions when my friends and acquaintances found out our choice of secondary school for DS. It is hard but mostly you should not worry about comments. I actually confronted my friends and it transpired that subconsciously they thought that our choice of school reflected upon their choice of school. i.e the school they were sending their children to was not good enough for our DS - absolutely not true and it was all understood when we all talked. If you feel they are friends worth keeping then I suggest you confront them if they are not then ignore and you will realise they were not worth having after all.
Well done to your child. Look forward and enjoy
Last edited by suncrest on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LandermereMum

Post by LandermereMum »

It's very hard but try to ignore the comments. When DD1 got a place at the top local Indie one of the comments that has stuck in my mind was "well, at least my son knows his place." The mother has never spoken to me since! I was extremely surprised at the time but not now. DD2 has taken the same route and as she left state junior I got much the same attitude from other parents - second time round I was prepared for it.
vasu

Post by vasu »

HABS is a great school. I know a lot of parents whose kids go to this school. Incidentally my Ds would love to get into this school. If I were you I would simply ignore these people and do what you feel best.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

I agree with muffinmonster, you need to find nicer friends.

Someone could send their DC to Feltham Young Offenders Institute and I would find something positive to say about it - probably "I hear its really good on discipline".

Habs is an oversubscribed school - a you and all the the other parents stupid?
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

doingmybest wrote:Someone could send their DC to Feltham Young Offenders Institute and I would find something positive to say about it - probably "I hear its really good on discipline".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now