Music

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SN

Music

Post by SN »

Can anyone give me some information if music comes useful for university entrance? Any other useful activities too would be appreciated. Does after school activities/clubs also count?
ourmaminhavana

Re: Music

Post by ourmaminhavana »

My son's music teacher mentioned last at parents' evening last week that it would be good to pursue theory to grade 6, I think it was, as from then on one begins to accrue a few UCAS points. She pointed out that this was separate to studying music at GCSE or 'A' level. Hope this helps a little.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

UCAS points for music exams is a grey area. Many Universities make their offers based on specific grades rather than points (most of the top Universities seem to to this) and others have a limit on the number of points that can be from extra curricular activities - or will only accept UCAS points from academic qualifications.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/advisers/ucas_tariff/tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UCAS points from Grade 8 distinction down to Grade 6 Pass Practical - points 75 down to 25 and theory grade 8 distinction down to grade 6 pass - points 30 down to 5.
Not sure how many universities count them though
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Looking for help wrote: Not sure how many universities count them though
Good point. I certainly wouldn't rely on something like this and indeed wouldn't encourage DS to do it for this reason, but I can't see it being a disadvantage all things being equal.
SN

Post by SN »

Thank you for the replies. Would also like to know of any other activities that would be useful for the future. DS does a few sports at the moment and is involved in quite a few school clubs. Music seems to be taking up a lot of time at the moment and unable to practice as required, so was wondering if to give it up. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

SN wrote:Thank you for the replies. Would also like to know of any other activities that would be useful for the future. DS does a few sports at the moment and is involved in quite a few school clubs. Music seems to be taking up a lot of time at the moment and unable to practice as required, so was wondering if to give it up. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Horse riding can get you UCAS points - also, I think, air, sea and army cadets can take qualifications which count for UCAS points.
All these things look good on a CV too. :)
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

For popular courses, it appears that many universities are looking for all round individuals who have achieved the right number of points and not just those students that have had their heads down in their books form Year 10 to Year 13. The things they are apparently looking at are:

Club sports
Coaching in the community - with ability to show coaching qualifications
Other types of volunteering in the community
DoE
Music
Cadet forces
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

For popular courses, it appears that many universities are looking for all round individuals who have achieved the right number of points
I have to say, and based on hearsay, I'd got the opposite impression. Perhaps it would be best to zero in on the universities and courses DC might consider and have a more detailed look.

I know it's still a long way off at this stage. :)
KB

Post by KB »

Have been through this twice in recent years with applications to top flight Universities & they are primarilty looking at academic ability and comitment to the subject.
UCAS personal statement should only include a couple of sentences on non-related extra curricular activities - the rest should be on why they want to do the subject & why they would be good at it so need evidence of interest & ability.

If DC is looking at the traditional Universities they will make offers based on academic grades & not on points.

As soon as DC has an idea about subject area it is worth looking at related activities eg. engineering there are various national schools competitions, vet & medicine are obvious ones, various projects one can have on the go at home for Biology, talks at a local University in the area of interest.......

Better to cut down on the range of extra- curricular as they get older to focus on one or two things that they really enjoy - hopefully will link in to future study/ career choices and if not then provides much needed relief from exam pressures.