Advice on Appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sally.russell

Advice on Appeal

Post by sally.russell »

Just a few questions having read all the advice on here. First time at this and in need of support. My daughter missed the pass mark by 2 points, we found out just days after the test that she was suffering with glandular fever (which we have confirmed by the Dr in writting). She has been predicted level 5 in English and science Sats, however only level 4 in maths. She is so determined to get to HSFG's we feel it is only fair to try an appeal, although we are realistic. My questions, firstly, are we in with a chance? Should we draw attention to the Level 4 (hoping our honesty helps) in maths or should we just not mention it? I have read that you can take evidence of recent work but should not pick out work which is obviously good, how do we send in this evidence? Do we borrow some of her books from school and send the whole book in? Is there any other evidence I could use? Unfortunatly her CAT scores weren't good either!
pixiequeen

Re: Advice on Appeal

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi Sally

There is a regular poster on here called Capers who might be able to give some advice about appealing for the Gloucestershire grammars. Just wondered - presumably if your DD only missed HSFG by 2 marks, she will have passed for Ribston - has she been offered a place there? Or did you not opt to share scores with Ribston? Only reason I'm asking is that Ribston still had quite a lot of spaces to fill on allocation day, but HSFG were full.

Hope your appeal goes well, and welcome to the forum.

Pixiequeen
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

hi, have you already submitted your intention to appeal? I am not sure how long you get to do this but Capers will know. I think you would have a good chance as medical evidence seems to count highly and 2 marks is so close. There have been successful appeals for lower scores than your DD. My DD is at HSFG and she got a level 4 for maths SAT. It is not the end of the world but she will probably be in a lowish set for maths. (They don't set til Y8 though so your DD might be fine) Plenty of the girls have different strengths and weaknesses so don't let that put you off. As for the CAT scores you don't need to show them if you don't want to - your doctor's evidence will be the main reason for underperforming. Good luck to you.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Eh? What? Did someone mention me? Sorry - very busy at work at the moment, so a bit late replying.

I would definately appeal if I were in your shoes. You should put the form in now (not sure of the time scale, but always worth doing it ASAP just so you know it's been done), but you don't have to send your detailed case in for a good few weeks yet.

I wouldn't highlight the SAT scores. If the primary don't send them, no need to mention them, though you might get asked by the panel.

The medical evidence is good. I'd look up to see if there's any reference material showing the progression of the illness, just to reenforce the doctors letter.

When I got Glandular Fever I felt really rough for 3 or 4 days before the symptoms came out. It didn't help my performance... I was recording a world premier of a concerto for clarinet, timpani & string orchestra for Radio 3 (yep, one of the soloists) and I wondered why I was shaking with what I thought was stage fright after the performance as well as before. A few days later I was diagnosed with GF. So if I was on the HSFG appeals panel (which I'm not this year), I'd certainly be very sypathetic.

We do so like good solid, provable evidence.

Have you though appealling for Stroud High or Ribston - assuming you didn't tick either?
Capers
glosguy

Post by glosguy »

No offence but I wouldnt of put my child through the test if they were poorly. I would have asked to of sat it at later date when they were fit and well. :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

trouble with GF glosguy is that it can be quite subtle and just a bit "off colour", could be put down to having to do the exam at the time - only when it is worse a few days later do you realise what it was all about. Can take ages to get better so not always an option to do the reserve exam.

I took DS swimming once and he was really crabby and clingy (usually loved it) - couldn't work it all out until the Chickenpox blisters appeared 2 days later...
sally.russell

Post by sally.russell »

Thanks for all your replies/advice. My DD really didin't seem to unwell at the time af the test, her glands were huge, we called them her 'golf balls'! But other than that we put everything down to nerves, it was the day after she went down hill and became really poorly. Delaying the test would n't have helped as she was poorly for the following 3/4 weeks!
She did pass for Ribston but as we live in Tewkesbury, transport was an isssue, I have 2 younger children to get to school and DD doesn't know anyone at Ribston so was not keen to go there. Likewise for SHS. She really has her heart set on HSFG's.
Still not clear on how we supply evidence of work. Capers can you help on this? Do I take an example exercise book to the hearing and pass it round, or photocopy pieces and send them in earlier?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

sally.russell wrote:Thanks for all your replies/advice. My DD really didin't seem to unwell at the time af the test, her glands were huge, we called them her 'golf balls'! But other than that we put everything down to nerves, it was the day after she went down hill and became really poorly. Delaying the test would n't have helped as she was poorly for the following 3/4 weeks!
She did pass for Ribston but as we live in Tewkesbury, transport was an isssue, I have 2 younger children to get to school and DD doesn't know anyone at Ribston so was not keen to go there. Likewise for SHS. She really has her heart set on HSFG's.
Still not clear on how we supply evidence of work. Capers can you help on this? Do I take an example exercise book to the hearing and pass it round, or photocopy pieces and send them in earlier?
Get ye to the Appeals forum!

Technically, if she passed, she's deemed academically suitable, so nothing needs proving. A few textbooks don't harm, but don't expect the panel to spend much time looking at them - panels are NOT allowed to make their own assessment of academic ability. Ask your school for the CATs scores & check in the appeals FAQ's before submitting them.

But your main case is 1) the school can cope with a couple more pupils and 2) if DD hadn't been going down with the bug, then she would easily have got at least one more question right.
Capers
Mum66

Post by Mum66 »

You need to get your Appeal Form returned to the school by 28 April - not much time with all the hols and bank holidays!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now