Bromley independent schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Torty

Bromley independent schools

Post by Torty »

Does anyone know much about the independent schools in Bromley? Looking at this option for my DD for Year 7 and know little of the choice.

Thanks
bromley mum

Re: Bromley independent schools

Post by bromley mum »

Do a search for Bromley High on the forum and you'll get quite a lot of info.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Hi Torty,
Are you looking at girls only or co-ed?

Co-ed - your choices are Farringtons and Bishop Challoner (although Farringtons only recently became co-ed). They are a similar size but Bishop Challoner gets better exam results.

Girls only - it's Bromley High or Babington House - very, very different beasts. Bromley High is very academic and much bigger so more opportunities for extra curricular. It has a good reputation. Babington is teeny but gets pretty good results considering its size.

I've ignored Wickham Court here as I don't think it is worth considering but, obviously, you may feel differently.

For girls, most people's first choice is usually Bromley High but all the others have good points so it all boils down to what you are looking for and they type of child your dd is.

By the by, if you live in Bromley, have you checked out your nearest Comp? Bromley has some very good Comps. (Feeling a bit "Grandmothers and eggs" here but it's always worth mentioning it!!!)
Torty

Post by Torty »

Many thanks ... :D I think we will look at Wickham Court and Babington as my DD is drawn to the smaller schools. :D I believe Wickham Court is a new school so perhaps waiting to establish results ... mmm food for thought. Thanks again :D
Torty

Post by Torty »

Wickham Court School has an Open Day/Morning on Thursday 9 June and Wednesday 22 June 2011. I heard they have more children who have started/ and starting in both Junior and Senior Departments and we plan to visit the Senior Department :D

Babington House School has Open Days on a Wednesday 09.00-10.00 :? Is this usual ... you only get to see the school during a set window of opportunity.

Looking forward to seeing both schools ... thank you for your help and a stressful time choosing one :shock: I find if I don't put all the open days down ... time rushes by and I miss them :roll: Is there a post/thread on local Open Days for people like me who forget? :oops:
Torty

Post by Torty »

Wickham Court School - Congratulations to all the children in Year 6 who took Grammar school entrance exams. Over 10 children in Year 6 sat Grammar school exams, all passed and all have been offered places. There are only 15 children in the Year 6, so this is a great result. Well done ... :D

Many also passed independent entrance exams with offers of places in local independent schools, and some gained scholarships.

For anyone considering a primary school in the area, the success in Year 6 says a great deal. :D
sidcupper

Post by sidcupper »

You should be very cautious if you're taking your child to Bishop Challoner. My daughter goes there but is leaving to Townley Grammar in September. She says the school is the worst, you have student smoking and doing drugs in the premises and the teachers don't do anything about it; my daughter even saw one of her senior schoolmates doing drugs in the girls bathroom and all the teachers know what they're doing. My daughter has wanted to move for a long time. Just trying to warn you so that your child doesn't have to experience such a bad community that is Bishop Challoner School.
badger14

Post by badger14 »

hello, i am so shocked about bishop challoner school. i was tempted to send my ds to this school, and am very thankful that i didn't. i know a friend who sends their child there, and did hear reports of alot of smoking, but assumed this happened in most schools. however drug use is very shocking!
BeckMum

Post by BeckMum »

I am so shocked to hear this about Bishop challoner. Does anyone else have any personal experiences about this school.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Goodness me, what a lot of hysteria! I can assure you that pretty much every secondary school will have pupils who smoke and take drugs (and, shock horror, drink).

As for teachers "knowing" about it - they may well have suspicions but they do need to catch them which isn't always easy!!!!!

My friend's child is at BC and he is very happy - he and his group of friends are all aiming for As and A stars. He is a very quiet boy, definitely not some sort of druggie!

By the way, sidcupper, you have made yourself very identifiable from your posts - it might be wise to be a bit more circumspect.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now