11+ appeal without support from school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

paul150

wirral non qualificaton appeal

Post by paul150 »

my daughter gained 232 in her test ,pass mark 236.she has always been one of top of her year..is expected to get aleast 5 in sats..she has done this without tutoring,in school she is vice house captain,and does at least 2 other jobs for the school at break times..when we approached the headmaster for help with an appeal .we recieved a letter containing none of this imformation just basic imformation as if he didnt really know her..any advice on how we could go on.

thanks
Etienne

Re: wirral non qualificaton appeal

Post by Etienne »

Have you seen the Q&As?

The sort of academic evidence needed is mentioned here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elsewhere in section B there is some discussion about lack of support from school, extenuating circumstances, etc.

If the school will be oversubscribed, it would be worth looking carefully at section C too! :)
Etienne
paul150

11+ appeal without support from school

Post by paul150 »

what are my chances of appealing against non qualification,when getting no support from school,my daughter failed by 4 marks without tutoring,when we approached the school for help we recieved a letter with not much information on even her sat marks were wrong.she is already on the fives for some subjects and is expected to get at least fives in the others.the school just isnt interested in helping and i dont even want to approach them again.it seems that shes got the scores they need and thats it..so we will going into the appeal with a four lined letter from the headmaster and two examples of work that only have a smiley face on as a mark..
we need help from somewhere but where
Etienne

Re: 11+ appeal without support from school

Post by Etienne »

what are my chances of appealing against non qualification,when getting no support from school
It's not impossible, although it makes things more difficult.

Explain to the appeal panel about the situation you're in. (Don't complain - just be very factual.) They will probably have come across cases like this before, and will understand, but I'm afraid the onus is still on you to assemble as much evidence as you can.

Haven't you looked at the Q&As, B20(a)? - It's a similar question sort of question:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

The appeal could determine your child's future for the next few years so I'd go back to the head and ask for more. Explain what is need and why. You're not loosing aything by asking, and in a few months your child would have left the school anyway! If the HT is unwilling, can you speak to your child's teacher. P'haps he/she can write a supplementary report in addition to the original one, giving the details of all the extra activities your child does.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

pheasantchick wrote:The appeal could determine your child's future for the next few years so I'd go back to the head and ask for more. Explain what is need and why. You're not loosing aything by asking, and in a few months your child would have left the school anyway! If the HT is unwilling, can you speak to your child's teacher. P'haps he/she can write a supplementary report in addition to the original one, giving the details of all the extra activities your child does.
Yes i agree - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I had a heads recommendation letter and also one of my dd's class teachers wrote one containing her "working at" levels and predicted levels. Have a chat with the teacher too.
paul150

Post by paul150 »

thanks..headmasters letter was far from a recomendation letter,more of a half hearted, your wasteing my time summary of my daughter.ie,attends school ,punctual ect...oh and was in his beloved christmas panto. as for approaching her teacher he told us he was going to speak to her, so i dont know if this is her input too..this all for a girl who has been one of the top 3 in her year,and is always doing jobs on behalf of the school in her breaks.oh by the way the head set the 11+ as a child and guess what failed so i dont think this chip on his shoulder has helped.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now