Waiting Lists (Canterbury)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
churchill

Waiting Lists (Canterbury)

Post by churchill »

Can anyone tell me if there is likely to be much more movement in the waiting lists? I would guess that after the first release - which has just been - that hardly any new waiting list places will come up. I do hope I'm wrong. Does anyone have any knowledge of this, particularly for BC and SLGGS in Canterbury?
Etienne

Re: Waiting Lists (Canterbury)

Post by Etienne »

It certainly happens in some areas that there's quite a lot of movement after the first round following 1st March - and well beyond. However, I've no knowledge of your particular area.

I've added "Canterbury" to your topic title in the hope that someone local may spot this and be able to advise.
Etienne
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

My daughter is at SLGGS and I have to be honest and say I`ve not heard of many ever getting in on waiting lists.....most folk offered either will accept the place and keep it...because there is no better option.
.Last year BCGS had over 60 appeals, and SLGGS had about 26.....both took a fair few on appeals which pushed them well over PAN.
I know SLGGS has added a new form into each year as from this Sept to cope with the pressures of being over PAN. I don`t know if this will mean the will take more on appeal, or more places were offered in the first round.

I know of an abundance of parents appealing from Herne Bay and Whitstable who are now out of catchment for both schools.

Hostorically the Canterbury grammars are not over subscribed and it is usually a catchment are issue....however this year all Canterbury Grammars, and Archbishops were heavily over subscribed....as was Dover girls.

Not what you want to hear....but are you appealing?
churchill

Post by churchill »

I certainly am - do you have any tips or advise for me??? SLGGS is w/c 23/05/11 and BC w/c 13/06/11.

Thankls.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

We appealed to SLGGS and were successful, so didn`t go to BCGS appeal as SLGGS was what we wanted.

We live well in catchment though, and were appealing on non qualification.

All I can say is the appeal panel were lovely......I did leave some feedback on the sticky....

The appeals are much earlier this year too.....

I have had a very alcoholic day....so will reply another day with the advice :oops:
maddysh

Post by maddysh »

Hi, I am very interested in your post as I too am appealing for my daughter to both schools on non qualification and we also live well within catchment..just wondered what tips you have?? Thanks
maddysh

Post by maddysh »

churchill wrote:I certainly am - do you have any tips or advise for me??? SLGGS is w/c 23/05/11 and BC w/c 13/06/11.

Thankls.
Hi, Ill be joining you at both eek..how do feel about it?? My head is full of it..and having just read the stats on appeal numbers for last year frankly feel pretty down hearted :0(
katel

Post by katel »

Do remember that SLGGS is a bit of a hot house - so don;t be too downcast if your dds don;t get in.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Hello, just wanted to wish you all well for your appeals. I know how stressful it is!

I don't know how many there are this year for SLGS and BC, but I do know several children in whitstable and H Bay who qualified, but did not get a place on distance who are appealing.
Our dd who goes to BC got in on non qual appeal although that was 3 years ago, so not sure how much help our experience will be.

For evidence we took along

KS1 sats, CAT scores, predicted KS2 sats, mock and actual 11 plus scores
Letter from teacher stating current level she was working at, evidence of high reading age and how dds score not reflective of true ability
Evidence of G&T English, including two awards for best story and poem in year group.
We also took school reports and excercise books which were offered but not looked at.
Two Drs letters containing medical evidence (this was very strong)
Great letter with HT support ( also attended in person), also confirming some of the effects on her of medical issues, and recent rapid progress back to high level since they were resolved.

Can't remember anything else!

Questions we were asked were

Was your child tutored?
What books is she reading?
Was she very nervous on the day?
Did she finish the papers?
What school have you been allocated?

Plus some q's that were specific to the medical evidence.

Not sure if this helps but posted it anyway. I really hope it goes well, although it will be tough with high numbers of appellents. Do you have decent alternatives if it doesn't work out?
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

maddysh wrote:Hi, I am very interested in your post as I too am appealing for my daughter to both schools on non qualification and we also live well within catchment..just wondered what tips you have?? Thanks
I don`t really know what to say specifically....from an oversubscription point of view we argued that they had gone over PAN every year forever :shock: well maybe not forever, and the results the school were achieving showed being over PAN had obviously not affected the girls at all.

we were asked if we visited and if DD liked it.

My DD was one point under on aggregate, and failed because of the maths paper. We were in an unusual situation because , just before appeal, the primary she attended went into special measures and they specifically said the school had failed DD`s year in maths......when she moved into year 6 she got a fabulous, new teacher so we were able to show recent rapid progress in her maths between sitting the Kent test and the appeal.
Our HT was very supportive.
I`m trying to think, but it is an experience I appear to have blocked from my memory :shock: :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now