Predicted Year 6 Sats based on Year 2 Sats

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Me2010

Predicted Year 6 Sats based on Year 2 Sats

Post by Me2010 »

I've been reading through a lot of the posts and am v. worried about my middle daughter - age 6 August birthday who is not doing too well which I just can't understand. She is read to every night and she reads to me but she struggles with her reading. She is in the remedial groups for literacy and numeracy. She is predicted to have level 2's by the summer but having read through other threads here she will not be predicted to make enough progress to pass the 11+. I know the 11+ is not for all children and they shouldn't really all be able to pass it and that it is meant for genuinely bright children but I do want to give her a fighting chance and I want to give her the same opportunity her elder sister had. So we are concentrating on maths for now and doing Kumon to get her number bonds up. I think I need to go over the stuff that is in the curriculum so where do I find what is in the curriculum for year 2. I've googled around a bit but can't really find what I'm looking for. Do you think it is a good idea to get a bond book for her age and go through it for maths say and then figure out what she can't do and go over it.

Any advice v. welcome.
yoyo123

Re: Predicted Year 6 Sats based on Year 2 Sats

Post by yoyo123 »

is this any help?

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stage ... index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also try googling bonds to 10 games , there are some really good ones online, far more fun than boring old Kumon!

this for example

http://www.year2maths.co.uk/numberfacts ... make10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited to add: just relax..Y6 is a long way off
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

I know kumon is boring but it really helped my dd with her number bonds and times tables - she then stopped it but it gave her confidence in mental maths at school, and for her maths is all about repetition.

I would also get a general curriculem book for her age for maths and one for english from whsmiths - go through it gradually and you will find her weak areas. I wouldnt worry too much at her age - read everyday with her and have fun with learning games as yoyo says - good luck :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Look through my posts if you can bear to and you will see I have been / am going through similar problems.Level 2 is where she should be in yr 2, and as you say she is young for her year...the same age as my DD infact... If I had gone overdue with her she wouldn't even have been in her year group !

My yr 6 boy passed the 11 plus with a good score and is a secure level 5 for reading and maths ( not for writing...he's lazy !) I used to panic that he was rather dim and indeed during yr 1 he was " chosen " for the additional learning support, I think thats what it's called, and was not bottom of the class, but nearly scraping the barrel, his sats results were only 2b/ 2a .The same with DS2 and I have had problems with DD who at times seems not very bright shall we say ! The thing is not to panic, and try to do extra with her at home ...as Tiredmum says buy the books from Smiths, ...there are lots of maths games online which appeal..she is young and I have found that with my children they start improving slightly from yr3/4 and then really fly from yr5...you might find the same.

With my DD I am getting her to read lots and looking at spellings and then for maths I have a sats ks1 book which goes over their curriculum but really it is basic counting, number bonds, adding onwards, backwards , double / half numbers splitting big numbers into hundreds, tens, units etc...look in Smiths and Waterstones in their education section and you will find workbooks there for yr 2 .It seems overwhelming but it is easy to get into a little routine and then I think they expect that's homework time and get on with it. I do buy my children little ditties as well to motivate and praise them.

One last thing,( hope you're not asleep ! ) the boy who started school with DS1 who on their taster day aged 4 wrote aload of spellings on the board such as chimpanzee whilst my son was scribbling a big mess with his crayon is actually now not as clever as my son ...which I know because I have to listen to his mother go on and on every day about it and I thought I was repetitive...she takes the biscuit !
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

I am currently going through the predicted Sats Year 2 - Actual Sats Year 6 at both ends (Year 2 DS, Year 6 DD) and I would say there is actually very little corallation between the two in many cases.

DD was flying high at the end of Year 2 - 3as in everything (and she took the key stage 2 papers not the key stage 1) but she completely messed up her 11 plus and now, in the run up to the Sats, seems to be coming unstitched there as well. Wish it was last year and I could make a trade unionist stand and keep her home next month.

DS is now doing likewise - level 3b already (won't be 7 til the summer) and has been working theoretically 'a year ahead' (it's not a high acheiving school - but lovely pastoral care) since the beginning of Year 1. Fortunately DD's experiences have taught us to be wary. (exDH made the mistake of disparaging the local Comp to our daughter when she was the 'child genius' and we've had to do a lot of back pedalling now she's going there :oops: )

Basically - kids are unpredictable and just as they grow in fits and starts (and usually just after you've spend £35 on new school schools) they learn and develop the same way. If you want to go down the 11 plus route don't let an average set of Key Stage 1 sats put you off. My DD and I have no regrets and I will probably encourage DS to take the test as well (at the moment he's very keen - he's quite clothes conscious and he likes the GS uniform :? )
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Me2010 - posters saying children develop at different stages are absolutely right. Suggest you take no notice of the year 2 SATS - my kids simply did not do them and their school did not use NC levels.

Carry on as you are and try and make it fun as otherwise she will get very fed up..
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi Me2010 - posters saying children develop at different stages are absolutely right.

now if only someone could tell the Government that
:roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yoyo123 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Hi Me2010 - posters saying children develop at different stages are absolutely right.

now if only someone could tell the Government that
:roll:
:lol: :lol: - quite Yoyo, but then we are all the same these days
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now