Appeals for Ashford and Folkestone girls Grammar schools

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tina2476

Appeals for Ashford and Folkestone girls Grammar schools

Post by tina2476 »

Hi,

I have submitted appeal papers for both Ashford and Folkestone girls grammar schools. Have had a date for Folkestone in May but nothing back from Highworth at all yet.
Is anyone out there in the same boat as me and anyone got any info at all which may assist us at this nerve racking time. I am not sleeping at night with worry!

Any help would be great please!!! :(
Redsnapper

Re: Appeals for Ashford and Folkestone girls Grammar schools

Post by Redsnapper »

Hiya...
I know of 7 girls who are appealing for Highworth this year.. I don't think they've heard anything yet, I'll ask around this afternoon.
We are appealing for NKS, only qualified boy left on 1st pref, oversubscription I'm told :? doesn't make me feel any better :)
tina2476

Post by tina2476 »

Thanks for the quick reply, that would be great if you can find anything out for me. I have heard NKS have 1 place.

They can oversubscribe if your son reaches the required criteria so Kent admissions informed me, could be promising for you. Do you still have to attend an appeals panel, if so do you have a date yet?
Redsnapper

Post by Redsnapper »

No problem.. Are you non-qual or over sub? All these girls are over sub...I do know they are all very hopeful and have been given plenty of help from Highworth.
I hope hope hope you have heard right and NKS have a space.. the next waiting list allocation is 6th May so I'd hear then.
We were 2nd on list last allocation and I've been told the 1st has already been allocated, If not then we go to appeal on 6-9 June, no exact date yet.
tina2476

Post by tina2476 »

We are non-qual, unfortunately :( and have been told by the admissions team a few weeks ago there are no spaces at Highworth at all. I am confused though as I was under the impression all requesting Highworth as first place got their choice, did these girls put it down second and are they local to the school? We are in Ashford but my daughter preferred Folkestone school which I believe have spaces but no idea how many. I do know there are 73 appellants!!!! :( :( I am not holding my breath!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Oh Tina2476 just wanted to say that I know how you feel we appealed last year to NKS for non-quali/over subscription. We didn't win I'm afraid.

Is that 73 appeals for Highworth?!!!

Good luck with everything.
tina2476

Post by tina2476 »

Thanks Twinkles. It's 73 for Folkestone school for girls. Have just contacted Highworth to be told by the admissions clerk that 60 are appealing there for NO spaces and they have 15 on the waiting list who have already passed!!!!! :( May as well not attend realistically :( :( Folkestone won't say how many spaces they have!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Well 73 and 60 appeals you are certainly up against it then I'm afraid.

How far from the pass mark are you?

What back-up school do you have?

How many classes are there at Highworth? If there are 15 on waiting list that have passed and 60 appeals, I wonder if they will create another class for this year???

PM if you would prefer?
tina2476

Post by tina2476 »

She was quite a way off the pass mark for the maths but high marks on both others. She will go to The North if not successful and may take again next year will have to wait and see. Not sure how many classrooms at Highworth but they have now got Academy status which means they get paid per pupil, so it's in their interest to oversubscribe!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hello!!!

I am coming from the 'boys' angle am afraid but appealed (non qual) for NKS last year and failed, then made a late application to HGS (Folkestone) for my DS which was upheld. Just wanted to say that Ashford may seem a no hoper but maybe you should go even if you feel there is no chance because you simply don't know. As for Folkestone, the school advertised a while back for parents to appeal which suggests they have a large number of places but on the other hand isn't very helpful as there are probably a lot more than there would have been...... These GS's are notoriously under subscribed but imo very good (not, it seems, suitable for the hoitey toitey upper class but perfectly good enough for my DS :wink: ). DS has settled in very well and tells me on a regular basis he is glad he is there over NKS (even though his brothers go there) which will be seeing rather large changes over the coming months / years at the hands of the HT who needs to make an impression since she started in September 2010!

I would also say your chances are likely to depend on DD's scores and if there is any reason why she didn't perform on the day.

Good luck, if you want any more specific advice keep posting :D

You posted while I typed this. Is there evidence that the maths score was out of context or a reason why she failed? (my DS failed 2 papers but still got offered at HGS because I was able to evidence suitable ability and a reason why he failed)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.