Teachers may go on strike. Chaos for parents. Discuss!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Should strikes be banned?

No. The right to strike is an ancient right that was fought hard for and must not be scrapped.
63%
Yes. Strikes are outdated when minimum salary and Health & Safety regulations protects workers. Unhappy workers can resign. Ban strikes.
34%
Do not know.
3%

Total votes: 68

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BoltBlue

Post by BoltBlue »

With teachers threatening to strike is it time that the right to strike should be banned and replaced with the right to resign and leave within 4 weeks?

* Please do not read or participate in this thread if you cannot engage in discussions without getting upset, complaining and asking for a thread to be locked. It spoils it for those who want to engage in discussion. Please do not post abusive or rude comments, even if you do not agree with a post. If you feel the urge to do so, please go to another thread. Thank you. *

One view....

Workers are now protected by a plethora of rules and regulations, notably heath and safety and minimum salary. Nobody is forced to work.

Workers must not dictate salaries. An employer dictates salaries subject to laws (minimum salary) and market forces influence this.

If an employee is unhappy with terms and conditions, why not resign and find another job?

Why does a BA pilot go on strike when his salary is higher than the industry and why do they expect a pay rise? Surely, they should not receive any pay rises until their salaries are on par with the industry or BA find recruitment an issue.

Should teachers go on strike? What sort of example is this to children? “I don’t agree with what my employers want to do, so I am not going to listen and I am going to walk out”. Would the teacher accept a child say “I do not agree with what you want me to do, I am not doing it. I am not going to do any work?”

The solution for the teacher is simple. If they do not want to do what their employer says (and the employer is not breaking any laws), simply resign and find another job (giving 12 weeks holiday a year)!

With global competition, striking should be outlawed and replaced by the right to resign and leave within 4 weeks.

Discuss….
Last edited by BoltBlue on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sally-Anne

Re: Teachers may go on strike. Chaos for parents. Discuss!

Post by Sally-Anne »

BoltBlue wrote:* PLEASE DO NOT READ OR PARTICIPATE IN THIS THREAD IF YOU CANNOT ENGAGE IN DISCUSSION WITHOUT GETTING UPSET, COMPLAINING AND ASKING FOR THE THREAD TO LOCKED. IT SPOILS IT FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO ENGAGE IN DISCUSSION. PLEASE DO NOT POST ABUSIVE OR RUDE COMMENTS, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH A POST. IF YOU FEEL THE URGE TO DO SO, GO TO ANOTHER THREAD. THANK YOU *
Boltblue, the Forum already has a perfectly good set of rules that govern debate and discussion:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=9&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might like to read them, taking particular note of this point:
6. The use of CAPITAL LETTERS on internet forums is considered to be shouting. Please use sentence case in both thread titles and posts.
Sally-Anne
BoltBlue

Post by BoltBlue »

Thank you Sally-Anne. I edited to lower case. The issue is 100% of my threads have eventually been locked. The more views the greater chance of someone getting upset as people post comments and then people complain. Locking spoils it for those who want to continue a thread. The rules are open to interpretation. What offends someone looks innocent to another.
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

I do not believe in or support anybody who goes on strike. In this day and age they should be grateful for a job. Too many people want too much for doing too little. That's my view anyway :D
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Given the overwhelming power of the wealthy and influential, the growing social divide, and the increasing proportion of national wealth being garnered into the hands of a small minority, I see no good coming from suggesting measures that drive us yet further back to 10th century laws, values and mentality.

That said, imho teachers can't have it both ways. They're either a profession or they're mere employees. Genuine professions don't go on strike.
BoltBlue wrote:The issue is 100% of my threads have eventually been locked
It doesn't happen to most people. I recommend a pause for thought about why it might be happening.

Mike
Bendy

Post by Bendy »

ausvic wrote:I do not believe in or support anybody who goes on strike. In this day and age they should be grateful for a job. Too many people want too much for doing too little. That's my view anyway :D
I disagree, yes you should be grateful you have a job, however if like me you have an overtime pay ban, 10% pay cut, 4 day week imposed yet you are still expected to work till the job is done, I think I would strike if only my company had a Union.

To simply resign and find another job if you're not happy is not an option, there are no jobs, but to put up and shut up is very difficult believe me I know. :(
mad?

Post by mad? »

mike1880 wrote:
BoltBlue wrote:The issue is 100% of my threads have eventually been locked
It doesn't happen to most people. I recommend a pause for thought about why it might be happening.

Mike
+1
mad?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I think it is irresponsible for teachers to go on strike, as it disrupts the children's education.

The job of a teacher is to teach, and that should be their first priority. The majority probably knew when entering the profession that the pay may not be brilliant (but its not bad - way above the minimum wage), and what the job inolves. Especially as I'm sure there were alot of strikes during my senior school years, so its not a new issue.

The 'chaos for parent' angle is a secondary issue for me, and not really relevant. Teachers shouldn't strike because it affects/effects children's education, not because a few parents may be inconvenianced (okay, I know its a few thousand parents, but you get my drift).
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry nothing to say but had to ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

BoltBlue wrote:* Please do not read or participate in this thread if you cannot engage in discussions without getting upset, complaining and asking for a thread to be locked. It spoils it for those who want to engage in discussion. Please do not post abusive or rude comments, even if you do not agree with a post. If you feel the urge to do so, please go to another thread. Thank you. *
I have voted. In accordance with Boltblue's wishes, I will not express an opinion.
I would advise others to follow my example.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now