We may be moving to Devon HELP please !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

3pink

We may be moving to Devon HELP please !

Post by 3pink »

Hi,

My husband has been offered a job in the SW and we have a free reign as to where to actually move to.
I currently have three girls in private prep and wouldn't be too upset if that situation changed but equally I'm prepared to stump up if the schools are great or state are poor so you have no choice but to stump up iyswim.
Any advice on areas to live, my three girls are 10, 8 and 6 and I have a baby boy so we need somewhere with lots to do for them and hubby and I
Many thanks
3P
tiredmumof2

Re: We may be moving to Devon HELP please !

Post by tiredmumof2 »

I've private messaged you!
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

depends on what you want for your family. Exeter is supposed to be the best place for children in the UK and it has good communication links, including an airport. There are certainly good schools around, the best one for your children may depend on their interests. I don't know much about the primary schools there but if intelligent enough your children could apply to Colyton Grammar (no catchment area, school buses from Exeter, look for property to the east of Exeter). Exeter college has a good local reputation, if looking at league tables remember that some bright children will be creamed off by the grammar.

For private schools you can look at the Exeter school and Maynards.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

Thank you, Exeter is out of our price range and I am visiting the maynard shortly.
Coylton is going to be a struggle as the places have been allocated for this year so we're going to have to go private.
Good to hear Exeter is good for children, we are all about the kids.
Primaries are proving a headache as all the best ones are full funnily enough !
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

don't know where you are moving from but the state schools here may be better than you are used to. I know you also posted on the Dorset board and according to a friend there both Thomas Hardy and Woodroffe have good local reputations. There is a good CofE primary school at Uplyme that feeds to the Woodroffe school but Lyme Regis is small and may not be a lot for you to do there. There is a private school in Weymouth - Thornlow.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

I think Dorset is going to be a non starter due to the traveling which is a shame because I had both of those on the list.
I've not found a secondary non selective that i'd consider based on the ofsted reports which I know aren't the be all and end all but when you haven't time to visit them all you've got to put your faith in those.
I'm 99% sure we are going to go for the maynard unless something dreadful comes of the visit.
Thanks for your help
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

have you looked at the Kings school, Ottery? Very narrow catchent area but outstanding Ofsted.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

nonnymouse wrote:have you looked at the Kings school, Ottery? Very narrow catchent area but outstanding Ofsted.
I did especially as that is where I want to live, am quite put off by sports college status though, mine aren't very sporty and 68% at GCSE C+ doesn't blow your socks of does it ?
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

college status generally means very little, although language colleges may make them do an extra language and a sports college may actually offer sports GSCE when many others don't. Training status is more significant.

When looking at GCSE results you have to remember that some of the brightest are creamed off by the grammar. Latest figures were 78% having 5 C+ and every student getting 5 passes. Can't expect schools to get A grades for everyone if it has a less privileged intake. What matters to your children is whether the school will get the best from them, you need to look at what schools achieve from similar children to yours. To get all its pupils through 5 GSCEs Kings must be doing something right.

Manor House Schoool in Honiton is a private primary which sends some children to Colyton. I'm afraid that's all I know of it.
Naulakha

Post by Naulakha »

Unfortunately the owner closed the infant and junior departments last year and sold off the building as the main school was not making enough money. He retained the nursery department (called Folly Nursery).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now