Advice on Reading Indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Goldens Mum

Advice on Reading Indies

Post by Goldens Mum »

DD is in year 4. She would like to go to Kendrick and her teacher says she is more than capable of getting in. However we are looking at Indies as a back up. Currently considering Abbey and St Josephs.
Reading through their sites they both have selection to some degree in reasoning, english and maths, (I guess Abbey more than St Josephs). What form do they take and will she be prepared for the english and maths parts from a normal state primary school education, or do I need to do some prep with her for that . Just how selective are they both?
Thanks in advance.
btonki

Re: Advice on Reading Indies

Post by btonki »

Hi there
My DD is in Yr 9 at St Josephs. She loves it - perhaps not as academic as Abbey, but excellent all round education - high demands /expectations in all areas, and no chance of her "slipping through the gaps" due to small class sizes. All children are encouraged to become involved in all school activities, and this gives most of them an incredible pride in their school. DD is desperate to stay at the College for A levels, in fact is totally against going anywhere else. I think this speaks for itself :D
St Jo's being Catholic can put some parents off, we have had no problem with this (obviously).

Friend teaches at Abbey - her DD is at St Jo's, as SJ suits her better. Look around both schools.
Goldens Mum

Post by Goldens Mum »

Thanks so much for your reply. We are certainly going to have a look at schools when she is in year 5 next year. I did have concerns about how 'catholic' St Joseph's was. Personally I'd prefer SJ to Abbey as it's coed, but DD wants to go to an all girls school as there's no 'naughty boys'.
DD spent a few days at the holiday play scheme there over Easter and liked the feel of the place. But that doesn't reflect what it's really like.
DD is currently at a state primary, so I'm interested to know what the selection assessment comprises of and what extra preparation I need to do if any. She is already doing a little reasoning work in prep for Kendrick.
btonki

Post by btonki »

DD went from state school to St Jo's. Did a bit of prep with a tutor who was focused on Kendrick and found the exam pretty easy (esp compared with Kendrick). She had to write an essay and a maths paper. I don't know if this has changed now that St Jo's intake is higher. I would suggest that your DD go to the Yr 5 open day - it's a great way to see the school. My DD has not found much of a difference with co-ed atm - boys are in the minority and mainly stay in their groups, . There are more boys in prep, and the integration has gone very smoothly and is being well handled by the staff. We decided not to apply to Abbey, as DD loved St Jo's atmosphere and friendliness. Let me know if you want any other info.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now