choice of grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Torty

choice of grammar schools

Post by Torty »

We live in Hayes, Kent.

We are thinking about the choices for my DD for secondary school. A decision we make this year as she is in Year 5.

Private or grammar ... it is a hard decision.

Would any of the local private schools offer more than the grammar schools?

What choices do we have for a good local grammar school (apart from Newstead) and do we try Croydon or Surrey as Hayes is between them and Bexley.

There appears to be more choice for boys living in this area.

Confused ! :roll:
youngmum

Re: choice of grammar schools

Post by youngmum »

Hi Torty,

its a tough decision especially if you do not have unlimited funds. I have just been through it myself.
You have Bromley High for girls near you if you want a girls only sch, I am not sure of any other co-ed that are academic but I guess there will be a few around Croydon. I do not believe there is any other academic girls only or co-ed around Bexley.

Going for an Indie depends on affordability and your preference as well as your dd's interests. I will suggest its best to visit all the various school to get a feel. The grammar schools have excellent results and offer a lot of extra curricular activities too but they obviously take larger numbers.

The Bexley grammar schools you may want to consider are Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar, Bexley Grammar, Townley Grammar and you can also try for the Kent tests which inlcludes Dartford Grammar for girls.

The difference between what extra you get at an indie versus Grammar depends very much on the individual schools. Again you can only know if you visit the schools

You also need to remember your dd is out of county for both Bexley and Kent so to stand a very good chance, she needs to be top 180. I know people personally this year that passed the tests but got offered no grammar places as they were out of county.

Good luck. Its not been an easy journey for us but we're happy with the choice we eventually made.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now