Holiday during term time - yay or nay?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sherry_d

Holiday during term time - yay or nay?

Post by sherry_d »

Just seeking your opinions. Would you take a holiday in the term time? :?

The same holiday is costing 3 times more during the summer holiday and seeing as my DD wont be doing much after SATS my heart tells me to just do it in the term time.
Impossible is Nothing.
scarlett

Re: Holiday during term time - yay or nay?

Post by scarlett »

Go for it, Sherry...I wish I had taken mine out now I look back and of course we can't once they're at secondary!

DD isn't going to miss much now and it will be nice to relax after all the stresses and before the next lot !....have a great time ! :)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i agree - they dont seem to do much in the way of work after the SATs - its more difficult to take them out in term time in secondary so go and have fun! :)
zorro

Post by zorro »

Won't you get fined?
A parent did this in Y6 when DS was at primary and they were fined for both children as they had been told 'no'when they asked permission and went ahead anyway.I think it was £200 per child but can't be sure.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Difficult one....the primary school our children went to always gave permission when we asked for time off, I guess it depends on the school. We've just had 2 days off for a visit home for a wedding (500 miles away), and the secondary school our youngest now attends agreed on compassionate grounds, but would definitely not do so for a holiday (that was made very clear). If you're happy to be fined, I'd probably go for it, I guess that is the only risk.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We always got permission from our primary HT for holidays during term time, he was good like that.

However, as it's after SATs and we all know nothing gets done between now the end of term, I'd say sod it, don't even ask for permission (just in case they say no) and send in a sick note when you get back - how long can you be sick with chicken pox or measles for???? Or maybe a very bad cold :lol: :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't think a school can fine so long as you stay within the 10 days for exception reasons - look up the legal position. And even then they'd have to take you through the due legal process for truancy - via the EWO - it's pretty long-winded I think. I have come across some schools that just fine automatically for any holiday in term-time and people pay up - but I'm pretty sure it's not legal. Came across some schools in Sunderland doing this to the poorest of the poor.
jingle

Post by jingle »

It is £50 per parent per child. I know because we copped a £200 fine for two kids. Had I gone on my own with them it would have been £100.

Still saved four times that on the price of the holiday though!

J
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Ear infections are very common!!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Have to admit I wouldn't take mine on holiday in term time without the school's permission because I wouldn't want to lie and wouldn't want my kids to have to lie either.

Saying that, we have a very understanding Head who is willing allow 10 days pretty much 'on the nod' so long as the child has good attendance otherwise. He has 2 kids himself and would probably love to get an off peak holiday one year. 8)