Handwriting

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Handwriting

Post by um »

My eldest learned handwriting using Schofield and Sim's handwriting books. Alas, they have changed their range and no longer stock these! The only ones they have now are too basic and do not give joined-letter practice unfortunately.

Can anyone suggest some good cursive handwriting practice books please?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Handwriting

Post by DIY Mum »

Dc5 is using Penpals by Cambridge. Just right for him: slow and steady!
um

Post by um »

Thank you DIY mum, there are different books for each age range, do you have any more advice on this from your experience?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Well, DC5 started from the basics (book 1 which is for Y1) but he is in Y3!

But as the handwriting exercises are short, simple and well structured (smooth progression from one cursive rule to another), he's catching up fast. Can't write in the book though- practises on a separate handwriting sheet or whiteboard. :!:
um

Post by um »

Ok Thank you, my dd is Year 3 and I didn't want something too simple.
Will order Year 2 and 3 and see what happens (wish Amazon would let you 'look inside' all the books!)
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

The 'look inside' on Amazon of the Teacher's Guide will give you some idea of what's being taught in each year book.

It's not that different. So for example, book 3: le, ling un,de, dis are some of the cursive phonemes introduced. For each rule, roughly four words and one sentence is given for dc to copy as a handwriting practise.

Exercises are succinct but adequate enough to check that 1) they've maintained the 'point of entry' for each letter right and 2) identifies any letter 'faults'.

How about the CGP's handwriting books? They aren't as simple and also tests vocabularly and spelling in one exercise. Too tiring for dc5 though! :)
um

Post by um »

toddler in arms no caps

i was about to buy cgp handwriting until i saw this review on amazon

I bought this to help an eight year old improve his cursive writing, but this book just had individual letters, which was not helpful at all. The description was very misleading.

do you have the cgp books and do they have cursive writing practice in them?

thanks again
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, the review is quite right. Last time I used the book was with ds1, three years ago. He also used the spelling ones which has a similar layout so I must have confused the two. :oops:

Anyhow, I've double checked handwriting books 1-3 and one letter is introduced at a time (per page) along with twenty or so sentences to practise.

It's definitely aimed for the older child who just needs some handwriting practice rather than learning about how to write in 'joined up'.
um

Post by um »

Thank you - it seems that this topic is no longer as important as it once was, perhaps as computers are being used more widely.

Hence why S&S have stopped publishing their range of books.

However neat, clear cursive handwriting is a great asset.

I have ordered two of the Penpals books!
drummer

Post by drummer »

strongly recommend the Morrells Rights Start Handwriting books. Much better than the S&S (IMHO) and include useful work on spelling, grammar, punctuation etc

http://www.morrellshandwriting.co.uk/