Boys and writing

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Boys and writing

Post by fatbananas »

My DS is year 2. I think (!) he's in the process of taking his SATS. His teacher told me that he was likely to get 3s in everything and a 2A in writing. He said he was very near a 3, had great vocab, had good story idesas, used lovely similies etc in class etc. but was reluctant to write, often saying his hand hurt! Or simply running out of time. He said all this was likely to come in time and to encourage him to practise at home.

I've found the best approach with DS at home is to get him to do 'work' without actually realising he's doing it :) . Does anyone have any tips for this?! Does anyone know of any competitions or similar for which writing is required? A purpose and a reward are often brilliant incentives for him! Could someone set one up?! :lol:

Any tips/ advice very welcome!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Re: Boys and writing

Post by mystery »

Blue Peter badges - the website explains what they are for and how to get them - writing letters, stories, programme ideas etc
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

He sounds as if he's doing ok at level 2a/3...my boys were both reluctant to write and even now they declare writing boring and I have seen such a difference with DD who is constantly writing me little notes or stories about our dog getting married.As a result her writing is so much better .I think if he has a good vocab etc that must be more important and the length, fluency of writing perhaps is a maturity thing ?

Re the reward/competition...I'm sure those Doctor Who/ primeval type comics have competitions where you have to write an episode ....I used to get my boys to write letters to relatives but I found it too painful. :roll:

Oh, just read your bit Mystery..that's a good idea..I might take a look.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Fat bananas - I suspect you and I may share a son!
DS is 3b in reading and maths - 2a in writing (DD was 3c across the board at the same age). Remember being told in DD's day that a level 3 was impossible without cursive handwriting - which no one in my son's class seems to have been taught yet anyway. Daughter wrote much more freely once she could join up - it's easier on the wrist.
Boys are traditionally supposed to write less - but then, I was always told they read less too and that certainly isn't the case in my son's class.

My son is an avid reader - racing through books way too fast to get the best out of them. I get him to write book recommendations (like they sometimes stick to the shelves in Waterstones - much less like hard work than a book review). It makes sure he understands what he's reading - and also helps him with his writing.

2a is good though - I'm not worried. DS wants to be a level 3 though - he's very competitive already - but he does see his aching hand as an insuperable obstacle. I regularly hear moans of - "It feels as if my bone is bleeding" if he has to write more than a couple of sentences. :lol:
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

What great suggestions. The Blue Peter badge thing sounds like it would really suit him. He loves winning badges. And the writing book recommendations/ reviews is a good idea too.

He does do cursive writing - they were taught in year 1. Though, I have to say, he still doesn't form some of the letters as he's supposed to and they don't seem to correct him/ teach writing in year 2. I try to tell him not to grip/ press with the pencil so hard because that must make him ache, but it's all a lot to remember when you're trying to get your ideas out asap!

I guess just volume will see some improvement?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

fatbananas wrote:He does do cursive writing - they were taught in year 1.
Wow ! Is this an independent school? Round our way no one seems to learn 'joined up' until they are about 7.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

No, state primary. It's a SATS requirement isn't it? It's one of the things my DS has been/ will be :!: tested on.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

fatbananas wrote:No, state primary. It's a SATS requirement isn't it? It's one of the things my DS has been/ will be :!: tested on.
Level 3 is technically 'overacheivement' at the end of Key Stage 1 so, no, lots of schools don't bother with cursive handwriting until Key Stage 2.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That's interesting. I had no idea. Gives me a whole new perspective on my DS's school and their hopes for Yr 6 SATS!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it depends on the school's policy, some teach cursive from the start. ot least teach the letters with lead in and lead out strokes
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now