Broken Bones

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Broken Bones

Post by doodles »

To be honest I'm not sure whether to take DS1 to the doctors but I am loathed to go if I really don't have to. Not that I am uncaring but I just feel a bit silly. So advice please.

Two years ago in March 09 DS1 broke his wrist quite badly in two places across the growing plate (hope that makes sense). It was touch and go whether he had an operation and in the end and for a variety of reasons we decided against an op and it was plastered for about 6 or 7 weeks. We knew it would be a tiny bit "flatter" at the end of it all. He is now complaining that it aches/hurts a lot. He has mentioned this regularly over the last few days, so I have been watching and he hasn't done too much on the Wii or the computer as I did wonder if it was an RSI type thing :oops: I just wanted to know whether there are such things as growing pains in the wrists or whether old breaks can ache at a later date, I have taken him to the doctors in the past with aching knees and ankles but he has been fine and these have come and gone and this is just the one wrist.

Aaagh children, why don't they come with a manual and why do these things always come to a head on Sunday evening :wink:
Ed's mum

Re: Broken Bones

Post by Ed's mum »

I know of quite a few people who have aches after breaks; particularly in damp weather.
That's the extent if my contribution really as I have no medical advice to offer.
I expect someone with medical knowledge will soon be along to advise but, failing that, you could always ask NHS Direct.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I agree doodles, always on a Sunday evening! DS has just informed me that one of the wires has come loose on his brace 'and it hurts mum '! And yesterday his glasses broke, there was no technician at the optician's to fix them !

I agree with Ed's mum, I broke a finger badly about 3 years ago and sometimes it aches like fury. If your Ds thinks it is getting worse, then get it checked out - otherwise I would leave it.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Doodles - trouble with these epiphyseal (growth plate) fractures is that they can be a pain (oops :oops: sorry) as the child grows, so worth going to see GP and may suggest an x-ray.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks, was wondering whether I was just being a grumpy mum! Will make him an appointment if it doesn't go off tomorrow.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh Doodles...hope everything has settled...if not as Herman says there's no harm in contacting your gp and popping off for an xray....perhaps you are there now looking through 10 year old Womans Own magazines ! :)
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Any word on the Doodleson? Remember when I was a school governor there was a child on the Year 6 residential who broke his leg and no one noticed until after he came home! I err on the side of caution now.
scarlett wrote:...perhaps you are there now looking through 10 year old Womans Own magazines ! :)
Am I the only person who enjoys doing that? Old magazines are one of my guilty pleasures - I hide my own around the house and surprise myself with them when I'm spring cleaning and my mother in law always has a stack for me by my bed when I go to visit.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, I'm wondering how Master Doodles is too. Doodles ?

( Old mags make me laugh when you read about a loved up celebrity and their new beau and you know they have actually moved on twice since then. )
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just making an appointment for him. He was ok yesterday si I left it but he texted me at lunchtime (probably highly against school rules) to say it was hurting again.

Mind you we will probably go to the surgery and catch something disgusting instead!

I love old Woman's Own magazines too :oops:

Anybody know why the embarassed emoticon has moved down a line - almost put in an inappropriate smile!!!
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

if it makes you feel any better, I`m an A&E nurse, and i nearly didn`t get my daughters arm xrayed last week.....she has a horrible fractured forearm....and a plastercast now :oops:
Entirely her fault for being so brave I say :shock: :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now