Essex English Paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anibkid

Essex English Paper

Post by anibkid »

Hi,

My DS is struggling with the Comprehension. We got the papers from previous paper and those comprehensions are very difficult. He has been practicing from BOND and Schofield comprehension but still struggled with previous year papers.
Can anybody help me with any suggestions how to improve his comprehension.

and the second thing is do they give extra time to read the passage or is it included in 35 minutes, last year the passage was very big.

Thanx
Minesatea

Re: Essex English Paper

Post by Minesatea »

Unfortunately no reading time is allowed. The papers are very difficult in the time allowed. Although it is generally accepted that a drop in scores will occur on the day remember that he does not need to be scoring 90+ % in this paper. If he is good at the other two papers he can afford to have a weaker subject. This years English paper was particularly hard and many children achieved grammar school places with less than 50% in the English paper. Obviously if you are aiming for Chelmsford it is harder.

What level Bond papers are you doing? I think fifth / more fifth papers are generally recommended for Essex.

With mine I would read novels with them and stop every page or so and ask them a question about what we had just read, along with looking up in a dictionary the meaning of any word they were unsure of.

Good luck
moved

Re: Essex English Paper

Post by moved »

Just keep going would be my advice. You still have plenty of time. They do improve enormously as the exam approaches. I usually see a big leap between the summer and November.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now