How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Villagedad

How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Post by Villagedad »

Hi everyone

Quick question. I'd like to ask parents how many hours a week their DC usually put in to prepare for the Kent 11plus, say from Janauary onwards upto the exam in September..

My DS will start prep from September (2012 taker) but I've often thought how many hours per week we should schedule to give him the best chance of passing.

I would have thought we should include tutor time, 11plus homework, parent time spent going through 11plus stuff but probably not school homework - what do people think?

Many thanks in advance to those parents who have been through the ordeal with their DC's and those prepping for this September's exams.

All the best
Villagedad :D
scarlett

Re: How many hours per week for 11+ prep

Post by scarlett »

Villagedad...you're back ! My DS2 will be taking it with yours and I've started with the Bond 10 minute books which he doesn't really mind doing.Reading every night if possible and discussing vocab and because I think his maths has dropped a bit I'm working through a year 4 maths book with him...and times tables of course !

It depends on your son's routine I think. Does he have lots of school homework already ? Will he go to a tutor ? Do you need to work on the basics or just straight in with the 11 plus stuff.How amenable to doing extra work is he ? Does he have lots of after school clubs to fit in too ? I think as you suggested before, devise a planner with his week .I'm thinking of doing this with my DS for Sept. He has Mon/Tues free so will probably do most then..a good go on maths topics and literacy, Wed and Thurs he has clubs so will probably just do reading those days...maybe times tables over the breakfast/ dinner table , Friday we tend to go out as a family and I think it's good to say that this day you won't be doing anything at all , and then over the weekend depending what's on and also when I'm working, maybe some of the online maths etc games....I'm hoping he won't mind !

From May/ June it is quite constant ( with practice books/papers ) but my DS1 knew it was important and also there was an end in sight because he only had to work up until September and then he also knew he wouldn't have to do that much in year 6...it was a definite help and a softener ! :)
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

My DD is due to sit 11+ in September and we have a tutor for 45 mins and the tutor homework takes between 30 and 60 mins. I work with her for about an hour at the weekend too.
My intention during the hols is to work for about an hour a day during the week then do the tutors work at the weekend. We go away for a fortnight in the middle of the summer and back to an hour a day until she goes back to school in September when we will stop all except the tutors visits.
In my mind it all seems so organised but from experience I know it remain flexible.
I well remember this time last year, thinking we had loads of time then... Here I am with days of that panic feeling- have I done enough? Then thinking am I doing too much? Roll on September to get it over and done with. This is my last 11+ and jolly glad.
Good luck with all your plans
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My son will probably be doing one hour tutor, plus homework. This will increase nearer the time (post Easter ).
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

Surely it's what works for your child rather than what other people are doing? Piling on the work when they don't need it is counter-productive as would be not providing enough support if they need more.

FWIW we did one hour a week with a tutor, term-time only, starting in September Yr 5. In total it was around 30 hours with the tutor. Homework was no more than 10 minutes a week, usually done in the 10 minutes before going to the tutor. We did no revision over the summer holidays apart from 1 paper which sent disastrously wrong because I marked it using the wrong answer paper. (Doh!) DS passed well enough to have gained a place at either of the super-selectives in West Kent so it was the right level of work for him but it could be different for your child, only you know. Also I think depends whether or not you are set on one of the supers or whether your DS would prefer Boys Grammar.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I stuck to 1 Hr per day, max during the preceding summer holidays. No more, no less, DS's reaction to when we went over the 1hr mark.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

don;t forget you can sneak some in , with computer games, board games, jigsaws etc. DS brain trainers are brilliant..

subterfuge is king ( bribery comes a close second) :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS2 is a 2012 taker too and because everything else always gets in the way of my good intentions we will be using a tutor. I uhmmed and aarhed about DIY'ing and though it sounds good I'm not sure I could make it work. He starts in January but we will start in September with the Bond books at home, reading, games etc. He is desperate to join his brother so there's hard work ahead. :?
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Thankfully my next one is not until 2013 but DS1, now in yr7 used to do 1 hour each Saturday & Sunday & nothing in the week at all starting from the January before the test. In the summer holidays we tried out the full papers & discovered that NVR seemed to have gone as we had really concentrated on the VR as it was his weakest. After a last minute panic it all came together & we did nothing in the final week as I was concerned about peaking/burn out etc or him realising it was a big deal & worrying(some children on the day were crying & vomiting so it really is as important as doing the work)
katel

Post by katel »

Well, I have a year 5 who will be doing a bit of practice when I remember and when we have time. But he and I both know that it;s not the end of the world if he doesn't go to grammar school. So we're not going to make ourselves miserable over it. i would prefer that he passed - but if he doesn;t - c'est la ve,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now