SHS Appeal reply

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

crazybutsmiling

SHS Appeal reply

Post by crazybutsmiling »

Just received 'statement on behalf of governing body of SHS', I must say found it interesting and very helpful.
They don't seem to put up much of a fight!!! (Encouraging)!
They gave us lots of useful info, actually more helpful to us than them I would think! Numbers in the 5 year groups (all over PAN) in fact yr 11 has 129!
They are basically saying we can cope with 2 extra per class, with no prejudice to their existing students, so they will leave it up to the panel to decide. Seems to me they allocate an extra 8 places for this! very strange, didn't think they could do this, but they are certainly not putting up a big fight (not complaining though)!
They also included DD1s answer sheets, where I can see where most her points were lost, -last 20Qs of paper 2, (she panicked and had to guess them, we discussed not leaving anything blank). Could I, should I bring this up and explain what daughter told me happened??
But all in all an encouraging letter from SHS (the supposed opposition)!!
Anyone else encouraged by the letter, or am I missing something??
ofsoundmind

Re: SHS Appeal reply

Post by ofsoundmind »

Yes, I totally agree with you. The letter seems very encouraging. :)
crazybutsmiling

Ofsoundmind I am glad that it isn't just me and my optimism! :D
good luck.
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

You too.
It's been really encouraging hearing some of the good outcomes of other appeals.
Let's hope both of ours go as well. :)
pennyforthem

Post by pennyforthem »

Good luck both of you.

I noted that you received your daughters answers sheets ... was there any info to show whether the shorter paper (80 questions) came first or 2nd?
I have had conflicting reports (:

Penny
crazybutsmiling

One of the tests says Y other says 2A, at 1st i thought 2A was 2nd one but actually was the 1st ( I compared scores given last october). The 2nd was 80 Qs and the first was 85 Qs.
That was about as much info the answer sheets gave me.
pennyforthem

Post by pennyforthem »

Thanks for that.

This whole process is such a trial!

All the best
Penny
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Wish I could say the same for Crypt! 4 places and 30 appeals...not much to smile about there. I have no idea how many they take over pan either. Just keeping everything crossed for my friends appeal

Good luck to all who are appealing! Stressful time
hopefulandstressed

Post by hopefulandstressed »

Beginning to think that I may need to join some addition group for 'elevenplusexams forum'!!! :lol: Anyone else loosing the plot for thinking about appeal constantly?!

Anyway, good luck to all those in the same boat x
gladitsdone

Post by gladitsdone »

EmeraldE wrote:Wish I could say the same for Crypt! 4 places and 30 appeals...not much to smile about there. I have no idea how many they take over pan either.
Tell your friend to keep her hopes up. We received a letter from Crypt about two weeks ago offering a place (which was very suprising as we had been lucky enough to be offered/accept a place at our first choice school (Marling)). I rang immediately to say that we didn't need a place, hoping to make someones day. Im sure Im not the only one to have received a letter like this. I spoke to a teacher friend who says this happens every year at Crypt, I guess as the school doesn't know where you placed them it just carries on down its list offering places as they become available. With any luck your friend may not even have to appeal or at least face better odds.

I wish I'd found this site earlier, its great, very supportive.