Does an IEP mean a child has SEN

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
youngmum

Does an IEP mean a child has SEN

Post by youngmum »

I have just been speaking to my yound dd's class teacher and school SENCO. They think my little one (6) will need an IEP. They did not mention her having any special needs but sometimes i think teachers have thier way of not saying everything.
She goes to an Independent school, she birthday is August which makes her one of the youngest in the class. she knows her xs tables up to 6, knows her time, money and she's now using the new way reading scheme at school. We have been offered one to one sessions to help her.
I am trying to be positive about this but I am careful to have her labelled.

Can a child have an IEP and not be on a SEN register? What are the implications of an IEP. (I have asked at the school but its all been a positive spin). I just want some balanced information. Thank you
Belinda

Re: Does an IEP mean a child has SEN

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

will pm you
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

Belinda wrote: It's strange though, having had a meeting with the SENCO that you don't seem to know exactly why they have introduced an IEP.
Thank you for your response. I am sorry if if did not mention; They did say it is to help with literacy, one of the problems highlighted is retention.
I guess I am just emotional and really do not believe she has any special needs hence I do not want her on a register except every avenue has been explored and there is an issue.
Whilst she's not Einstein I think a lot of it is down to her age.
Last edited by youngmum on Thu May 26, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:will pm you
Thanks I look forward to your pm.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manana

Post by Manana »

youngmum wrote:
Can a child have an IEP and not be on a SEN register? What are the implications of an IEP. (I have asked at the school but its all been a positive spin). I just want some balanced information. Thank you
There are no 'implications'. The IEP is just an action plan identifying areas to work on, targets to achieve and states how best to make progress. Look on it as a positive thing; the school are helping your child. There is not one awful register which once on, you are never off. Children have IEPs for all manner of reasons; behavioural problems, attention issues, stutters, being GAT etc and many of them have targets for a short while, achieve them and then the IEP is no longer needed. Just because your daughter has an IEP at 6, it certainly doesn't mean she is out of the running for the 11+ already!

Talk to the school to find out the problem and also what NC level she is currently working at; this should give you an idea of where she is in relation to the 'national expectation'
youngmum

Post by youngmum »

Thanks a lot teachermum76,
I feel a lot better now. The school has been helpful and always keep in contact which I really do appreciate. I guess I just cant help but worry, having no experience of this or knowing anyone that has.
I will ask what nc she is working at and as they finished the sats a few weeks ago her teacher should be in the position to give me further information.
I just want her to be happy and achieve the best she can. Even if she does not take the 11+ when she's older; it does not mean she will not achieve her potential in a different school setting or be successful in whatever she chooses later in life.
I am open minded but ignorance does create worry which is why I am trying to get as much information as I can.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Try not to worry, Youngmum. My daughter is an August birthday in year 2 also and was identified in Feb/ March as having a few problems in literacy mainly but I never got to the root of the problem as the school didn't really say much, only worried me ! I spent lots of time one to one with her and I think coupled with maturing over the past few months she is now ahead of herself. Find out what the problem is exactly so you can help at home, but it sounds as if her school is on top of it and with an extra push she will really fly !

By the way, My eldest son was put into a learning support group in year 1/2 and he passed the 11 plus and is doing really well. Some children just need that bit extra until everything clicks. Actually all my children needed/ need that bit extra but they all seem to be on the right track now !
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like her maths is extremely good for a 6 year old. Is she a young year 2 or is she year 1?

An IEP sounds like a lovely thing to have. Is this much different at an independent school from what they do anyway? I thought with the small class sizes they are able to take more of an individual approach with children.

If they have offered one to one sessions free of charge I would take them; a lot of independents charge a lot extra for "learning support". Are they saying that her reading has fallen behind average for her age? If so, children can make massive gains in reading age in a very short space of time with help either at home or at school ....... I wouldn't worry at all, particularly at 6 ....... but do ask them to explain to you more about what they are talking about. An indie should have the time and desire to communicate well with you. What is it they feel she is not retaining - phonics for reading, or what?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now