How difficult would you say was Tiffin Entry exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vasu

How difficult would you say was Tiffin Entry exam?

Post by vasu »

To anyone who has"been there and done that". How would you rate the Tiffin's actual test against the NEFER tests? Did your children find it difficult/easy/same as the actual test? Most of our kids do quite ok at home with these mock papers but the REAL DEAL is a completely different ball game.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
mynameisbond

Re: How difficult would you say was Tiffin Entry exam?

Post by mynameisbond »

Hi there - I would be really interested to hear what others say about this as this is just my humble opinion, having gone through the process last year and DD just finishing Y7 at Tiffin and DS1 doing exmas in Sept onwards.

I would say that the NFER tests are good preparation for Tiffin but the Tiffin NVR especially seems to be very tough. Excellent prep for the exam as has been said by others are the Daughtrey papers and Walsh especially for the challenging vocab. With regard to NVR it is harder to find more difficult material than NFER but others may be able to make further suggestinons for these - I wonder if anyone whose child did Tiffin this year could let us know the topics for the NVR. In the 2009 test it covered four sections, 20 questions each all in 50 mins with topics of odd one out, matrices, opposites and sequences (I think, but have hazy recollection now - my DD was upset as there were no codes)

What does everyone else think - Jays Darlin if you are out there you are always a mine of useful Tiffin info !! :D
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Having had two DC go through this already and one just starting to gear up, I would agree that NVR is very tough. It's not so much that the individual questions are hard, it's more that you have sooooo little time to complete the paper. It really is a question of speed, though of course accuracy is important too!

I would say that the VR in the actual test is easier than the Walsh papers, so I would leave those until last when preparing, and don't despair if your DC finds them tough - they are :shock:
vasu

Post by vasu »

A totally ignorant question :oops: ,what are the Walsh papers? Are they a publication company or school past papers....ohhhh so ignoramus . I have never come across them. Are they Kent specific?
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
la boume

Post by la boume »

No they are Tiffin specific :D The famous tutor got them published, i think, not all of them, she is still got some secrets up her sleeve :?:
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

DD found the TGS exam less hard than the tough pracitse papers she did with her tutor, where her scores would drop to the low 70's. She was pleasantly surprised by it being quite handlable. DD's mate thought the exam was really tough and sadly did not make it.

DD ran out of time on the NVR paper and guessed last 4 or 5 questions in a hurry, others said the same. Perhaps we could've done time-trials for NVR - something we never did, just to get her de-coding up to speed. It was a killer paper and those that managed a half decent score for it deserve a pat on the back.
Brownelephant

Post by Brownelephant »

Hi all,

I have had 2 DS go through the 11+ and both got into Tiffin Boys.

Both are strong in Maths and found NVR ok, we practised using BOND/NFER.

For the VR we used Walsh/Bright Sparks etc.

I have lots of papers for sale, please consider sending me a PM.

Brown elephant
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now