Exam order

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pennyforthem

Exam order

Post by pennyforthem »

Hi All

Am trying to gather as much information for my DC ... who doesn't like surprises

Anyone who did it last year can you remember:

First test
a) As I understand it this was the one with alphabet based scheme for recording answers
b) How long did they have for this test
c) how many questions were there?

Second test
a) Were the answers on the sheet
b) How long did they have for this test
c) how many question were there on this test?

Did they get a practice before each test?

Thanks
Penny
pixiequeen

Re: Exam order

Post by pixiequeen »

According to what my DD said at the time...(which is not necessarily to be relied upon!)

Yes the first test was the one with the funny answer sheet - it was 45 mins long and 85 questions.

The second test was 50 mins and 80 questions and the answers were on the answer sheet.

The practice test was the first thing they did and they only did one.

I notice from another post that Crazybutsmiling has got his/her DD's answer sheets because he/she is appealing for a place so might be able to confirm some of this? Might be worth sending pm if he/she doesn't see your post. :D

Pixiequeen
pennyforthem

Post by pennyforthem »

That was quick (: - thanks - will ask crazybutsmiling and report back.
pennyforthem

Post by pennyforthem »

Ok had this confirmed by three different sources.
Second test is harder.

Thanks everyone
Penny
Milla

Post by Milla »

Harder but don't let that worry you. The son whose scores I got breakdowns for (info not handed out for first boy) did much better in second test than first, as is the case for many other people's kids. So don't let it freak you!
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

The reason some seem to do better in the 2nd, as I am sure Milla knows being an old hand at this, is because of standardisation.

Imagine, if you will, this scenario.
Let's say paper one is easier..therefore more kids do well on the whole...therefore scores are closer together so there is not such a large range in points awarded
Let's say paper two is harder..therefore some kids will do well and others not so well..therefore there is a larger range of scores. When everything is standardised those who got higher scores in this test are in the minority and so they end up with a better points score in paper two, than paper one.
So in effect your child could get 90% in paper 1 and have a points score which is lower than that of paper two in which they scored 80% (because so many less got a score near 80% in that paper but many kids got a score near 90% in paper 1)

Bet that's clear as mud now!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now