New Admissions Code - what do make of it?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

New Admissions Code - what do make of it?

Post by sherry_d »

Schools now have right to give priority to children on free school meals rather than those living catchment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/85 ... ldren.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As part of a sweeping reform of national admissions rules to be unveiled today, hundreds of academies and free schools will be allowed to select pupils based on family income for the first time.

They will be allowed to discriminate in favour of children who are eligible for free school meals — those whose parents earn £16,000 or less — in an attempt to close the gap between rich and poor.

The move is designed to give the most disadvantaged children access to the most sought-after schools and stop them being edged out by richer families who buy properties near the best secondaries to secure places.

Schools will be given a further incentive in the form of a “pupil premium” worth an extra £430 for each deprived child admitted next year.
What do you think?
Impossible is Nothing.
mitasol

Re: New Admissions Code - what do make of it?

Post by mitasol »

The new code is under consultation. http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/adm ... ler-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I think I am soooo glad I don't have to worry about admissions any more :lol: :lol:
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm going to get part - time jobs at the three schools I would be interested in before it's too late - see the bit about priority for children of staff working at the school!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh and I'm going to divorce my DH too as maintenance payments don't count in the calculation for Free School Meals.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

More bedtime reading, but surely any Code that has gone from 127 pages to 29 has to be very worrying? The Appeals Code has dropped from 48 pages to 21, and that has me even more worried.

It is not what is new in the draft codes that we should be looking for, but what has gone missing from the old ones.
doodles

Post by doodles »

As DS2 is taking 11+ in 2012 I am hoping that it takes them more than 18 months to discuss and deliberate!!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I dont think it will affect grammar schools that much Doodles, at the end of the day they still have to pass the test even they are on FSM. Its good comps and primary schools they seem to be after.

How about church schools, will they be affected by this?
Impossible is Nothing.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

And what about the bit where successful schools can expand their catchment area without refering to the LA? I wonder where this will take us?
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

MrsChubbs wrote:And what about the bit where successful schools can expand their catchment area without refering to the LA? I wonder where this will take us?
On the one hand I think it will be good for successful schools to widen their catchment area but, on the other hand, where does this leave the less successful schools? Surely, they will find it even harder to keep pupil numbers at a sufficient level.