Bancroft's school 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minie

Bancroft's school 11+

Post by Minie »

Hello everyone,
My DD is sitting for this school in 2012 I am thinking to start preparing her this summer. I would like to know which books will be useful for this school ?
she has been using so far Bond maths, english , NVR,VR but she found the NVR a bit hard ,dont know which exam board the school uses? any tips or ideas for exam papers , publisher to buy
Thanks
muffinmonster

Re: Bancroft's school 11+

Post by muffinmonster »

HI Minie

Bancroft's set their own papers in English and Maths - no VR or NVR. My DS used Bond English and Maths papers, plus Bond comprehension (he needed to do quite a lot of practice). If you go to the Bancroft's open evening in the autumn they will hand out sample past papers (only one of each!). You can also download past papers from the websites of (for example) Manchester Grammar School, City of London Boys, City of London Girls, and any others you can think of. These are nicely challenging and should probably be kept until nearer the time if you want your DD to sit the whole paper - or you could work through them quite slowly over several sessions.

I found Angus McIver's First Aid in English useful as well for work on vocabulary. Often it's not 'hard words' that children don't know, but things that you take for granted like the names of trees!