SHSG Number of out of catchment places allocated

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Zeezeemum

SHSG Number of out of catchment places allocated

Post by Zeezeemum »

I'm new to the forum although I have been browsing for a while but I can't seem to find information about the number of places allocated to out of catchment for SHSG over the past few years. I've checked their website for 2010 allocations but it doesn't give this information but I was able to get details of 2010 allocations for WHSG.

I need to find out this information to see whether there is a realistic chance of my DD gaining a place at this school based on previous years allocations as quite a number of places are reserved for in borough children with a lower pass mark.

I know this will vary from year to year but maybe somebody will be able to shed some light.

Many thanks.
moved

Re: SHSG Number of out of catchment places allocated

Post by moved »

Over the last few years more local children have put SHSB as their first preference so it has a higher number of local children than WHSB.

This is from an old thread, but may still be true.
Shrimpergarry wrote: We have now found out that SHSB reserves 25 places for out of catchment boys, whilst WHSB reserves 39. the reality is however that, due to the lack of catchment boys achieving the pass mark, SHSB usually takes 45 out of catchment and WHSB about 60 (both these figures were confirmed to me directly by the respective heads).
Zeezeemum

Post by Zeezeemum »

Thanks for that Move. I assume the numbers allocated for the girls maybe similar as you have mentioned allocations for the boys school.
moved

Post by moved »

Sorry, yes. I think that their is a similar bias for local applicants to chose SHSG too. The CSSE will give you the score of the last person who was allocated a place to the school and you can assess your chances from that.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

You are correct Zeezeemum, very little published information appears to exist on out of area intake for SHSG. From admissions criteria supplied with the 2011 prospectus “Up to an agreed maximum 115 (out of 150) places available for local schools provided they satisfy min test score” They also go on to state “pupils from outside the local area are, however, encouraged to apply as the School always admits significant numbers from outside the local area”

As an example figures for WHSG entry for the 2006/07 academic year showed that 98 :o (out of 154) pupils from out of the local area actually got in. Even allowing for local/annual variations, it's safe to say a lot more than 35 (150 -115) pupils will get in SHSG from out of area.

Perhaps would not worry to much about number of places. The key point, as a general guide, is to target an average 65% exam pass mark (VR counts double). That will almost certainly guarantee an out of area place.

Hope this helps and wish your DD the best of luck.
Zeezeemum

Post by Zeezeemum »

Thanks so much for that Kaynor. This is most encouraging to know. :D
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Hi Zeezeemun

I believe the final intake was about 60 from out of catchment and 90 in catchment.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

For anyone wanting to know the intake numbers for out of borough boys for SHSB, this information is usually listed in the Prospectus Supplement which you will be able to pick up at the open evening. Failing that you can find it on their website under Prospective Students, Prospectus General Information. Although this may not have been updated yet. I believe the number for 2010 was 29 from out of borough. However, I am sure this number goes up and down from year to year.
westcliffmum

Post by westcliffmum »

Hi there! Last years intake at SHSG was 57 in borough and 80 out of borough, which is a reversal of previous years as normally they (similarlyto SHSB) take more from in borough. This information is in the Seconary Schools Admissions Booklet published by the Local Authority. Interestingly, (or maybe worryingly) the intake was only 137 when they have 150 places available. This must mean that only 137 girls from in or out of borough that put SHSG as a preference, achieved the pass mark. :?
Zeezeemum

Post by Zeezeemum »

Thanks guys for the update on allocations. I'm still baffled as to why only 137 places have been allocated to girls from in or out of the borough when the school takes upto 150. What would be interesting to know is how many girls got allocated a place through the waiting list after 1st rounds of allocations because surely more than 137 girls would have attained a pass mark that listed SHSG as a preference.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now