National Curriculum Maths level 5

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

National Curriculum Maths level 5

Post by menagerie »

Our primary school is pretty slack in maths and I want to make sure my boys have covered the whole of level 5 curriculum before sitting their 11+ exams. Are there specific revision papers or books which are better than others? There's a lot on offer at Amazon but I wondered if wise forum members on here knew which are worth getting and which aren't.
scarlett

Re: National Curriculum Maths level 5

Post by scarlett »

I'm not really sure what the level 5 curriculum level is ? I just made sure my son practised the maths topics in the Bond books in particular ( we have the How To Do 11 Plus Maths, which might be helpful ? ) and also the Letts Key stage 2 books. He did need to know algebra which I don't think they cover in primary and some things like fractions, decimals seemed harder and more in depth then the similar questions for his sats. Looking at the maths papers I would say they really need to know their mental maths back to front and inside out !
Just as an aside ( Sorry, M ) but my son has been told he's going to be given a level 6 maths paper next week....is that just a harder version of the level 4 /5...or is that different topics too ? I hadn't thought that different levels might cover different maths, until you asked that , M !!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

there is no level 5 curriculum as such.

this link will show you what should be covered in KS2
http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stage ... index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manana

Post by Manana »

This is what we use to assess Level 4/5 maths if that helps you see what's covered?

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcs ... node/64648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

When dc3 began Y6 she started another primary school. Since this was her eighth (and last primary school), I needed to check what she had learnt from the Maths NC over the years, as well as prepare her for the B'ham 11+ exam (which she passed- I feel, on the backhand of her Maths).

I used BBC's online 'Bitesize KS2' site and supplemented it with some of the CGP workbooks for more Maths practice. It took us a couple of months to cover the entire syllabus (working from level 4 to a level 5).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Rising Stars do a good set of books called achieve level 5 in...there is quite a good maths one.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Yoyo- would you recommend the revision guide or the practice questions one?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

both!
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Level 5 is the cross over level between KS2 and KS3 as far as I can gather. I'm pretty sure it's not required teaching in yr 6, but is in Yr 7. At our primary, the gossip from mums with children in Yrs 5 & 6 is that the school revisits level 4 in Yr 6 to make sure everyone has a full grasp of it, rather than covering level 5. But it's level 5 maths that is used in maths 11+ test setting. I don't want my sons to miss out by being set questions they haven't covered. E.g. Not covered rotation and it always flummoxes them in NVR test papers. They get it in the end, but I have to tell them it's a rotation question and give them spare paper to work it out on.

Yoyo - thanks for that recommendation. I'll order those.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

these are the attainment targets for level 5

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stage ... index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now