second appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stressedparents

second appeal

Post by stressedparents »

We appealed at our local superselective GS last year on the grounds of oversubscription but our appeal was not upheld. DS has had significant problems settling at his allocated school and therefore we have asked the superselective (which has recently become an academy) if we might appeal again this school year. Their response was 'I am afraid that the decision of the appeal panel last May was final and binding and a further appeal is not possible.'

We were under the impression that we could appeal again in a different school year. We would be very grateful for any advice.
tina2476

Re: second appeal

Post by tina2476 »

Hi,

I think the best approach is to put DS in for the so called 13+ which is what we intended to do had we not been successful at our appeal. We were told by the Grammar school rep that we could approach the school the following year to do a local exam held at the school itself and take it from there.

Good luck, hope it works out for you. :roll: :roll:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We were under the impression that we could appeal again in a different school year. We would be very grateful for any advice.
What you're thinking of is that normally there is a right to make a fresh application for a different academic year. Technically, then, to have another appeal, you would have to apply again, and be refused. It is the refusal that triggers a right of appeal.

Please let us know if they decline to consider your application.
Etienne
stressedparents

Post by stressedparents »

Thankyou Etienne for your helpful advice - we were not sure how the system worked.
bonnyboys

Post by bonnyboys »

Don't forget to keep in regular touch with the school you are interested in. I'm in Essex and you really have to make sure you work the system here. The grammars here use the waiting lists even after they have "gone" to select DCs to apply for any places which come up (reference maymum WHSB) on the Essex forum. Last year I knew someone whose DC was invited by a supergrammar in Chelmsford to sit exams for a place but only because he had missed out on a place by a percentage of a decimal place the year before. By then he was well settled in an indie and they didn't bother - they hadn't even wanted him left on the list, hadn't appealed and I suspect really only wanted him to get a grammar place so they could say, "He's going to xxxindie, did get offered a place at KEGs but we turned it down", that is a whole new thread however. Find out what happens in your area and make absolutely certain that you are still interested in a place for your DC. If they don't let your DC even apply or sit the tests find out the reason why, this may give you an in to appeal, I've no idea but maybe someone else here will. I'm sure other people know more than me but as someone who battled to get their DS into a grammar in my part of the country I am a bit cynical about what happens when the waiting lists close and it does seem to be those who keep on top of the system who get to have a go. I should mention however that my experience was several years ago and things may have changed although anecdotal evidence says it hasn't here.