Advice on Journey from Clapham Junction to Wilsons or WCGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2boysmum

Advice on Journey from Clapham Junction to Wilsons or WCGS

Post by 2boysmum »

I would be very grateful for some feedback on first hand experience of the journey to Wilsons and WCGS. My son would be travelling from Clapham Junction. It is a 30 minute train journey to Waddon station for Wilsons and slightly longer for Wallington, (up to 37 minutes). It is the journey from this point on that I would like to find out about. I understand that there is a bus from Waddon which goes straight to Wilsons but how reliable is this, how often does it run and is it very crowded. The website says that it is a 10-15 minute walk from Waddon station to Wilsons, is that accurate? From Wallington station to WCGS the TFL website gives me a choice of three buses and a journey time of about 17 minutes; does that sound right?

All in all I believe we would be looking at a journey time of at least 1 hour and 15 minutes. Do you think this is reasonable, especially as it is quite awkward, bus to Clapham Junction, (will have to allow 30 minutes), train, (allow another 30 minutes or more) followed by bus or walk of 15/20 minutes.

Is it likely that the schools would require the children to be in earlier than 8:20 more than once in a blue moon?

Your help with this will be greatly appreciated even if you only know about part of the journey.
geling

Re: Advice on Journey from Clapham Junction to Wilsons or WC

Post by geling »

Hi, 2 boysmum:

I used to live in Wandsworth and I know quite a few boys go to Wilson or Wallington boys. So, it shouldn't be a problem regarding the journey. :D :D However, from your message you said that it still takes 20 or 30 mins from your home to Clapham Junction, so, is it possible that your boy can change train at Balham which also go to Waddon and Wallington? Good luck to you and your boy!
surreymum

Re: Advice on Journey from Clapham Junction to Wilsons or WC

Post by surreymum »

Wallington station down to the school is not very far and very straightforward. I don't know about buses from waddon. I would guess it is a good 20 minute walk.

I would suggest some practice journeys, preferably in rush hour, would help clarify
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now