Poor exam result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tonbridge

Poor exam result

Post by Tonbridge »

My child has recently taken an exam for Year 5 and unfortunately received a result of 50% in a QCA paper. We have a tutor once a week who I believe is very good and are doing lots of 11 plus practice papers which she is managing quite well and seems to score around 25-30 each time which I am hoping will improve in the summer. Do you think I should not put my child through 11 plus because of end of Year 5 test result or it is still worth a go? We live extremely near to school so only need to pass, has anyone else in the past been in a similar situation?
sherry_d

Re: Poor exam result

Post by sherry_d »

I am not sure what these Y5 test you are refering to are but my guess is they are optional SATS.

You cant really base chances of 11+ on a single mark and paper. If your school does CATS you could try and get these too but at the end of the day its what YOU think will be right for your child. If you have started already why not just continue with it and see what happens. My DD did the 11+ and didn't succeed but hey its not the end of the world.

50% is also a reasonable score, you need about 55% in all the three test so your child isn't that far off anyway.
Impossible is Nothing.
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

Tonbridge wrote:My child has recently taken an exam for Year 5 and unfortunately received a result of 50% in a QCA paper. We have a tutor once a week who I believe is very good and are doing lots of 11 plus practice papers which she is managing quite well and seems to score around 25-30 each time which I am hoping will improve in the summer. Do you think I should not put my child through 11 plus because of end of Year 5 test result or it is still worth a go? We live extremely near to school so only need to pass, has anyone else in the past been in a similar situation?

Each 11+ test has a different number of questions. Maths 50, VR 80, NVR 72.

Which subject was it ? 25-30 out of how many?

or are you doing a different set of practice papers?

I agree with Sherry_d since you are already working on 11+ why not carry on.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Do you have a reasonable back up because that can take alot of pressure off
( you and your DC)

I'm in a similar situation with disappointing CAT scores from the school but we have decided to go for it as I feel my DD will do well if she gets into a GS.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I agree with the other posts that should continue preparing for the 11+. If you don't take it, you may always think, 'What if'. You've got nothing to loose, apart from tutor fees and time.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

My DD`s YR5 optional SATS results were appalling, her YR6 ones weren`t much better.......she is in YR7 at Grammar now and is in the top 10% in almost all subject ( MASSIVE mental block in History mind you :shock: ).

She doesn`t cope well with test situations....something school are working on with her.

I also say, you`ve come this far, you have little to lose.
mystery

Post by mystery »

How can you be wondering such a thing when you haven't a clue what the school test was or what it means?
dunemigrating

Post by dunemigrating »

Tonbridge, the rate we're going, I think we will be extremely lucky if my son passes, but we're still going for it. If you don't do it, you'll never know.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It does sometimes all suddenly click in a small space of time and even if your dc just scrapes through, they've still earned their place and remember you still have a whole year until they start grammar to keep up the learning.My DS1 has improved dramatically in just the last couple of months and for the first time in 5 years I feel he might actually be near the top of the class !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now