GL Test 11C Q44 - ambiguous question?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ontarget

GL Test 11C Q44 - ambiguous question?

Post by ontarget »

The answer to 11C Q44 is given as WX. Couldn't it just as easily be AB?
The answer assumes a mirror type logic (same distance in from the left as from the right etc.), but isn't a movement to the left of 2 places (i.e. a -2 movement) just as valid? In which case the answer becomes AB.

How do you know when you are supposed to use mirror logic and when to use incremental movement logic?
patricia

Re: GL Test 11C Q44 - ambiguous question?

Post by patricia »

If it is multiple choice the answer AB is not present.

If the same question is used for a standard format, it is an error and should not be present as there is more than one answer.

The question is not a true mirror as A is not a mirror Y and B is not a mirror of Z. This question is an inverted mirror whereby the outside letters [ A and Z ]are mirrors and the inside letters are mirrors

I tell all my students to check for mirrors before they start the section. If they find a mirror and the answer is there, use it. If they find a mirror and the answer is not there revert to normal method. This checking takes less than 10 seconds but is worthwhile.

With regard to long codes [type C] my students are told to check the whole section for mirrors before starting but they must check at least 2 pairs of letters. Again this checking takes less than 10 seconds but is a time saver.

Patricia
ontarget

Re: GL Test 11C Q44 - ambiguous question?

Post by ontarget »

Excellent answer. Thank you, Patricia.
It is multiple-choice and I forgot to look at the available possible answers. The answers restrict the problem so that it becomes unambiguous.