2nd Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slough mum

2nd Appeal

Post by slough mum »

I have my second appeal (first was unsuccessful) for the same school.

What can I do or change to make sure my 2nd appeal is successful. Do I need to change what I presented to the panel, or do I require more supporting back up?

Please help as this is my last chance now.
Alex

Re: 2nd Appeal

Post by Alex »

Hope that your experience with the next appeal is better than the first.

It is difficult to know what you might possibly do better without really knowing what you did in the first place. Do you have any specific questions people could help you with?
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I had my appeal and feel that it didn't go to well. After the school rep presented thir case I had few questions I wanted to ask, after I had asked my first and the school rep answered, the chairperson went on to say to me you can now present your case. But I replied saying I had further questions for the School rep.

After I presented my case there were loaded of questions asked as the panel did not seem to understand the medical side and how it impacted my DC even though I had provided sufficient evidence from Consultants and academic evidence, confirmed level 5 in maths and english. The chair person stopped us and said if you can now sum it up in a couple of sentences (can they say that... in a couple of sentences). I hadnt finished and half way through my summing up chairperson interrupted and said we are running late and have other appeals to here. So basically I didn't get the chance to finish what I was saying. And then the school rep left the room and didnt even sum up their case.

I am now left wondering is this a sign of unsucess :-(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

But I replied saying I had further questions for the School rep.
So you were given the opportunity to ask your questions?
After I presented my case there were loaded of questions asked as the panel did not seem to understand the medical side and how it impacted my DC even though I had provided sufficient evidence from Consultants and academic evidence, confirmed level 5 in maths and english.
I think they were doing their job by asking lots of questions. (We'd probably be criticising them for showing no interest if they didn't!)
The chair person stopped us and said if you can now sum it up in a couple of sentences (can they say that... in a couple of sentences).
Yes, they do have to try and manage the time. According to the Code, the chair is responsible for "the overall conduct of the hearing, including effective time management (e.g. ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to state their case and to ask questions, but then to draw matters to a conclusion if arguments become repetitive. The chair may need to give each party a specific period of time to make any final points or comments they would want the panel to consider); and ensure that representatives of the admission authority/school and witnesses do not participate beyond the scope allowed to them by the Code."
I hadnt finished and half way through my summing up chairperson interrupted and said we are running late and have other appeals to here. So basically I didn't get the chance to finish what I was saying.
I would be happier if you'd been allowed to finish - provided you weren't being repetitive!
And then the school rep left the room and didnt even sum up their case.
They have to be given the opportunity to sum up, but they don't have to.
I am now left wondering is this a sign of unsucess
Impossible to say.

As to whether it was a fair hearing, it depends on:
  • 1. how long the hearing lasted
    2. whether the panel considered properly all your main points
We do advise you in the Q&As to be as concise as possible:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Yes I was then given th opportunity to ask my further questions.

They did ask lots questions but I'm not really sure if they understood it properly because they kept asking the same question again and kept asking for clarification. And as the chair stopped us I feel that the message didnt get across to the panel.

When I summed up it wasnt repetitive just stuff which I had not put in the main case, there was one point which I wanted to add but wasnt given the opportunity :(

They also asked for school reports from year 5 but I didn't have any so don't know if that would go against me. The panel wanted to see at what level DC was at before starting year 6.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

just stuff which I had not put in the main case
Strictly speaking, you shouldn't introduce new points in your summing up, because no one then has the opportunity to question you about them.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now