Merchant Taylors Suit

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tbones

Merchant Taylors Suit

Post by tbones »

Hi all,

My DS is due to start in MT in September 2011, however I'd like to know if the Suit has to be bought from the outfitters or one can just buy the same or similar colour suit from say, Marks & Spencer. Also roughly how many jackets & trousers would be best to buy.

Thanks all!
Sportsmum

Re: Merchant Taylors Suit

Post by Sportsmum »

Am pretty sure it's outfitters only - and most people I know have only bought the one....
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Whilst acknowledging the London-centric nature of this forum, would it be churlish to point out that there is more than one Merchant Taylors' school?
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

guest43 wrote:Whilst acknowledging the London-centric nature of this forum, would it be churlish to point out that there is more than one Merchant Taylors' school?
Only if it's not churlish to point out that Merchant Taylors, Northwood, (which is presumably the school being discussed here) has neither a London postcode nor phone number, nor is it in a London borough, which, in my book, means it's not a London school!
mad?

Post by mad? »

cinnamon wrote:Only if it's not churlish to point out that Merchant Taylors, Northwood, (which is presumably the school being discussed here) has neither a London postcode nor phone number, nor is it in a London borough, which, in my book, means it's not a London school!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Hmmm...of course the argument would be stronger if it didn't have a Tube station within half a mile...and the Home Counties weren't lapdogs of London!
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Watford has a tube station too - that is definitely not London! Moor Park is hardly London (more like the back of beyond - nice houses though!)

Just to add - great school too!
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

...well we just bought dd's St Michael's uniform from Pullens yesterday, and ours (a Catholic Grammar in Barnet - is that London?) is much MORE expensive than Habs Boys and Girls, Merchant Taylor, NLCS, Highgate, Heathfield, The Hall, The Mount...and indeed all the other schools supplied there.

When her cousins started at St.M's in the late 1990's the uniform cost the same as now, and was only available at Harrods. I know that we (at St.M's) only pay about £700 pa per child towards the school in building funds etc , but £700+ for a basic uniform is NOT cheap (and my SIL had to pay almost £1500 on uniforms for her twins in 1998). Having said that I do feel a good uniform is well spent as it teaches the child about discipline, quality, appearance and belonging/loyalty. (despite the grouching I LOVE it!!)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

golly that is a lot for a uniform... !

Uniform doesn't need to be expensive for kids to look smart and feel they belong to a place - I have found that at schools I have used with expensive uniforms - some unbelievably battered third or fourth hand bits of uniform are worn by the kids, different colour after being sun bleached and washed ++ - falling and multiple altered ... and I can't imagine what happend to the straw boaters :roll: :oops:
(reckon this often particularly as they are about to leave..) TBH they would look much better if a newer kit - not costing an arm and a leg was worn.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I agree, but have to be philosphical. There are only 96 girls in each year and they are nurtured like orchids, so it's ultimately a small price to pay:)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now