Home study

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fran17

Home study

Post by Fran17 »

I would like to do some home study. I quite fancy doing an A'level in philosophy. Having looked online I am not sure who to approach. Can anyone give me some advice?
Just1-2go

Re: Home study

Post by Just1-2go »

I'm not sure that they do A'levels but highly recommend the Open University, really good resources and very easy to follow. Plus an added bonus that you can pay using Tesco Club points! (if you're a tesco girl that is)
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I would recommend the OU as well. You can (depending on income and course - not the 10 point ones) get fees paid AND study grants to buy laptops etc!
Most of the courses have TMAs (tutor marked assignments) instead of exams and the tutors themselves are wonderful, giving as much time and help as you could wish for.
The course materials are all supplied and are well organised so that there is very little need to find stuff in libraries. The TMAs for the 30 point courses done by DD1 were difficult enough to ensure that the OU maintains credibility but not too difficult to get a decent mark.
If you look on the OU website and find a course code you are interested in you will probably then be able to find a group of current students discussing it on Facebook to give you some further information.
Good luck
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you so much for your replies. I will go on the OU website. :D
Ally

Post by Ally »

magwich2 wrote:I would recommend the OU as well. You can (depending on income and course - not the 10 point ones) get fees paid AND study grants to buy laptops etc!
I looked at some of the OU course, but been put off by the cost, they seem really expensive, but if on some of the courses you get your fees paid etc it's completely different. Where can I find out more ? On the website? Maybe I should have another look
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

The OU also have some short free courses under OpenLearn.
http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Give them a call, the telephone operators/course advisors are usually really helpful and do wonders in decoding the jargon on the website.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now